Original series Suitable for all readers

 

Script created with Final Draft by Final Draft, Inc.


[ bottom ]

CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS

"THE EMISSARIES"

By

Johcafra

 

Fade IN:

EXT. DESERT - DAY

With SOUND EFFECT a large, unmanned and remote-controlled vehicle on balloon tires approaches us. It moves steadily but not quickly on a flattened dirt road. Its exposed cargo bay contains a large unmarked box, held to compensate for the vehicle's swaying.

Cut to:

ANOTHER ANGLE

The vehicle drives away from us. On the horizon its destination, a small building.

EXT. TEST SITE - DAY

A nondescript building, blockhouse design, weathered but not in ruins, no windows, a motionless dish antenna on its roof. No sign or other badge of ownership. A large door on one side.

EXT. OBSERVATORY M-44 - DAY

Jodrell Bank, Goldstone or Woomera in design. Several office buildings with a radio array and very large dish antenna in the background. A Spectrum saloon parked in foreground.

ANOTHER ANGLE

A sign: "DEEP SPACE INSTITUTE - WORLD ASTRONOMICAL UNION - OBSERVATORY M-44"

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

Computer and instrument banks line the walls. Two long instrument consoles with monitors and keyboards sit in its center, angled towards a wall screen.

A woman, LOUISE BARRETT, sits at one console. DR. SHAW sits in a wheelchair at the other console. A TECHNICIAN stands in the background with the computer banks. DR. KURNITZ and CAPTAIN MAGENTA stand behind the seated scientists. All except MAGENTA wear white laboratory coats and identification badges.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

KURNITZ

Well, Captain, I believe we shall soon have our second chance to attempt peaceful contact with the Mysterons.

MAGENTA

Indeed, Doctor Kurnitz, and I hope they notice the additional precautions.

KURNITZ

Doctor Barrett, prepare the test site to receive the mobile.

MEDIUM - BARRETT

BARRETT

Yes, Doctor.

Presses a switch on her console.

EXT. TEST SITE - DAY

The large door opens slowly.

Ext. Desert - day

The vehicle slows, then stops. Its front opens to allow the box to descend and smoothly enter the test site on its own hover-bed.

INT. TEST SITE

A roomy but not cavernous interior. Computer banks and readouts line the walls. The hover-bed enters. Building lights activate. Remote cameras swing to face the hover-bed.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM (optical effect)

The wall screen shows the front of the hover-bed box opening slowly.

MEDIUM - BARRETT

Presses another switch on her console.

INT. TEST SITE

A receptacle, smaller than the computer banks and resembling the pedestal on which the Pulsator had rested on both the Mysteron complex in Crater 101 and later on Cloudbase, moves with a hissing SOUND EFFECT towards the box, then enters the box.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

GROUP SHOT - BARRETT, KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

Watch the O.C. wall screen.

MEDIUM - SHAW

Watches his console readout.

SHAW

The Pulsator has docked with the Super Transceiver Unit.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

KURNITZ

Let us bring them out into the open, Doctor, so we can all witness your handiwork.

MEDIUM - SHAW

Presses a switch on his console.

INT. TEST SITE

The receptacle exits the box with a Pulsator perched in its center. The Pulsator resembles its predecessors, but is smaller and contained in a geodesic latticework of electronic circuitry and wires connected to the Super Transceiver Unit.

EPISODE TITLE

NO MAIN TITLES

ANOTHER ANGLE

The hover-bed box closes its panel and exits the building. The building door closes shut behind it.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

MAGENTA

Doctor Shaw, how were you able to replicate the Pulsator we had retrieved from the Moon?

MEDIUM - SHAW

With an electronic SOUND EFFECT he swings around from the console to face Kurnitz and Magenta. His electric wheelchair uses four or more smaller balloon or wire-mesh tires. It is not enclosed like Commander Shore's, for we need see Shaw's legs.

SHAW

It's not a precise duplicate of the original Pulsator. We were fortunate to perform a thorough molecular scan of the original and conduct tests on its capabilities.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

KURNITZ

Doctor Shaw led the original team that discovered the Pulsator could amplify and relay a carrier wave on which we could broadcast a simple signal on a set frequency. That made us hope we would contact the Mysterons the first time.

GROUP SHOT - KURNITZ, MAGENTA AND SHAW

Shaw approaches the others in his wheelchair.

SHAW

The Mysterons used that same feature to nearly destroy Cloudbase. However, their attack also provided proof of the Pulsator's composition and a clue to another use of the Pulsator.

MAGENTA

As a means to receive, store, amplify and relay focused particle- beam energy to another destination.

SHAW

Correct, Captain. In its original form the Pulsator was a very large diamond, extracted from beneath the surface of Mars.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

SHAW (O.C.) (CONT'D)

It was very similar to an industrial diamond manufactured from substances naturally found on Earth or the Moon.

Close-up - shaw

SHAW (CONT'D)

However, the Mysterons had altered its molecular structure to serve their own purposes.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

KURNITZ

And Doctor Shaw feels he has improved on the Mysterons' technique.

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

SHAW

Again, not precisely, but well enough to alert the Mysterons that we too could direct a beam of focused energy to another planet. We chose their planet.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

KURNITZ

And so we knock on their door again, Captain, and hope they will answer with something besides a threat of retribution.

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

BARRETT

Do you truly think they will answer this time, Doctor Kurnitz?

GROUP SHOT - KURNITZ, MAGENTA and shaw

KURNITZ

Ach, what do we lose by trying, Doctor Barrett? If we are correct, we could gain more than we could lose.

(beat)

I believe we are ready to proceed.

(faces Magenta)

Captain, you should contact Cloudbase and alert Spectrum of our progress.

CLOSE-UP - MAGENTA

Magenta's commlink epaulet lights flash and cap mike drops into position.

MAGENTA

Colonel White, we are ready to begin the transmission to Mars.

INT. CLOUDBASE COMMAND CENTER

MEDIUM - COLONEL WHITE

WHITE seated at the con, speaks into console microphone.

WHITE

Thank you, Captain Magenta. I have Cloudbase on full alert, and all Angels are skyborne. On behalf of Spectrum I commend the Deep Space Institute for their efforts.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

Two shot - kurnitz and magenta

WHITE (V.O.)

(filtered)

Doctor Kurnitz, how long will the transmission last?

KURNITZ

We plan a thirty-second radio transmission, followed by thirty seconds of particle-beam energy. We will pause, then repeat the cycle twice with the same interval.

WHITE (V.O.)

(filtered)

Have you located your target?

KURNITZ

We pinpointed the site of the original Mysteron attack on the Zero-X mission. I must emphasize, Colonel, that we want to be both precise in our transmission yet without any hint or display of threat or menace.

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

SHAW

The radio transmission will replicate the signals from Mars that Spectrum monitored before the Zero-X mission. The energy beam will be weak, but sufficiently focused to alert the Mysterons of our capabilities. Allowing for time lag our global and orbital network of radio telescopes should quickly alert us to any response from Mars.

INT. CLOUDBASE COMMAND CENTEr

MEDIUM - COLONEL WHITE

WHITE

Thank you, Doctor. Do keep us informed, and let us all hope we succeed this time in convincing the Mysterons of our peaceful intentions.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

Two shot - kurnitz and magenta

KURNITZ

Begin the transmission.

Medium - SHAW

Faces his console.

SHAW

Doctor Barrett, do we have a lock on the target site?

MEDIUM - BARRETT

BARRETT

Yes, Doctor. Mars is in position for maximum reception.

MEDIUM - SHAW

SHAW

(faces console)

Let's start the first cycle. Radio broadcast... Now. We'll cut off with the energy beam transmission.

(beat)

Energy beam transmission to test site activated. Countdown to transmission from ten... Nine...

INT. TEST SITE (OPTICAL AND SOUND EFFECT)

The receptacle area surrounding the Pulsator begins to glow, then the latticework, then the Pulsator itself, soon all in sync...

SHAW (V.O.)

Eight... Seven... Six...

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

BARRETT

(faces console)

Test site confirms energy beam link.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

SHAW (O.C.)

Five... Four... Three...

INT. TEST SITE (Optical effect)

The Pulsator light produces a lens flare, and the combined effect brightens the interior even more.

SHAW (V.O.)

(filtered)

Two... One...

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOm

Close-up - shaw

SHAW

Transmit!

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

Face the wall screen.

SCIENTISTS' POV (OPTICAL EFFECT)

The wall screen is a televised image of the Test Site building, relayed from the distant mobile, next to a televised image of the Test Site interior, with the Pulsator in full visual effect.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

Studies the wall screen.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

Study the wall screen.

SCIENTISTS' POV (optical effect)

The image of the Test Site interior turns completely white and dissolves in a random pattern of signal integrity loss.

Alternating close-up

KURNITZ

Have we lost contact?

BARRETT

(faces console)

No, we've only lost interior visual. The link is intact.

SHAW

(faces wall screen)

Look!

EXT. TEST SITE - DAY (OPTICAL EFFECT)

The building slowly disappears, without violence or added visual effect, but with the same SOUND EFFECT as the Mysterons' teleportation of Captain Black when he is near capture.

SPECTRUM LOGO INTERCUT SEGUE

Ext. Cloudbase bridge - day (library)

INT. CLOUDBASE COMMAND CENTER

GROUP SHOT

White at the con, Kurnitz and Magenta seated before him. CAPTAINS SCARLET and BLUE stand behind Kurnitz and Magenta. LIEUTENANT GREEN sits at his comm post.

WHITE

Doctor Kurnitz, I think it safe to say the results were impressive, but not quite expected.

CLOSE-UP - KURNITZ

KURNITZ

I certainly agree, Colonel. But I was also correct in that we gained far more than we would lose by trying. Within seconds of our first energy beam transmission we picked up an energy beam transmission from the target site on Mars.

MEDIUM - WHITE

KURNITZ (O.C.) (CONT'D)

Even more remarkable, the Martian energy beam reached us at the same strength as our transmission.

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND SCARLET

BLUE

Let's assume the Martian energy beam came from the Mysterons. Even allowing for the speed of light, they responded to our first energy beam transmission before they should have received it.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

KURNITZ

Which meant the impossible. The Pulsator produced a nearly instantaneous transmission of energy across millions of miles of space.

MEDIUM - WHITE

WHITE

And carried something of ours along with it. Before we jump to conclusions, do we know where the duplicate Pulsator went?

CLOSE-UP - KURNITZ

KURNITZ

Where else? To Mars!

CLOSE-UP - WHITE

For only a beat, he is not pleased?

CLOSE-UP - KURNITZ

Kurnitz (CONT'D)

We would like to think it is there, but of course I would prefer visual confirmation.

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND SCARLET

SCARLET

And that means a follow-up transmission.

BLUE

Of more than a signal.

CLOSE-UP - WHITE

WHITE

And, I would hope, less than a building. I know what you two are thinking, and I do not share your enthusiasm.

(faces Kurnitz)

Doctor Kurnitz, how soon can you arrange another broadcast to the Mysterons on Mars by relay from Cloudbase?

CLOSE-UP - KURNITZ

KURNITZ

The Institute already prepares another Pulsator and remote test facility.

CLOSE-UP - SCARLET

SCARLET

Colonel, even if you contact the Mysterons again, we have no assurance they won't expect more than a message let alone a signal. And they follow up on their broadcast threats.

CLOSE-UP - WHITE

WHITE

And so we need avoid a threat. Very well, Captain Scarlet, just what do you propose?

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND SCARLET

SCARLET

We send an emissary.

BLUE

And I will gladly volunteer for that mission.

SCARLET

Indeed you would, Captain Blue. As would I.

MEDIUM - WHITE

WHITE

I don't doubt we all would. But you must realize that would take more than a step into the unknown. I cannot allow that.

CLOSE-UP - MAGENTA

MAGENTA

Colonel White, what can we lose by trying?

CLOSE-UP - WHITE

WHITE

Good men and brave, Captain Magenta, to fight the war against the Mysterons.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND MAGENTA

MAGENTA

Then why not send good men and brave to end that war?

CLOSE-UP - WHITE

Speechless but poised to decide.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. CLOUDBASE DECK (LIBRARY) - DAY

The Spectrum Passenger Jet prepares for takeoff.

INT. SPECTRUM PASSENGER JET CABIN - DAY

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND MAGENTA

Blue and Magenta at the controls.

BLUE

Spectrum Passenger Jet, request launch clearance.

GREEN (V.O.)

(filtered)

Spectrum Is Green. Good luck, Captains.

MAGENTA

Thanks, Lieutenant. And, thank you, Captain Blue.

BLUE

At least we know we'll have company, if only in spirit.

INT. CLOUDBASE BRIEFING ROOM

TWO SHOT - SCARLET AND WHITE

Scarlet looks out porthole. White stands behind him.

WHITE

I'm sorry, Captain Scarlet, but I'm glad you understand you're needed here. Doctor Kurnitz has arranged for my broadcast to the Mysterons tomorrow morning. I'd like you there with me.

SCARLET

Thank you, Colonel. I'll be there.

White exits. Scarlet does not move. CLOSE on him very slowly, to CLOSE-UP. The MUSIC underscores his disappointment.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. OBSERVATORY M-44 - NIGHT

A dark but calm night. The buildings are well lit, inside and out.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

Shaw remains at his post, watches his console readout intently, writes on pad. Room lights a little lower. Barrett stands behind him.

BARRETT

You haven't left this room all day.

SHAW

You know I can't. This is important to me. To everyone.

BARRETT

Are you certain there's nothing else I can do tonight?

SHAW

I'm certain.

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

Something she wants to say, but can't summon the courage?

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

Sighs audibly, stops writing long enough to glance towards Barrett.

SHAW (CONT'D)

I'm fine now, Louise. Please get some rest. You know the procedures, and I know you can cover for me tomorrow if I can't last the day. Good night.

He returns to his monitor. We HEAR her footsteps walking away.

MEDIUM - BARRETT

Stands in doorway, watches him, closes door behind her.

MEDIUM - SHAW

Still studies his monitor. A beat or two.

BLACK (O.C.)

Doctor Shaw.

Shaw straightens, with SOUND EFFECT turns to face...

CLOSE-UP - CAPTAIN BLACK

BLACK (CONT'D)

The Institute steals your secret.

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

Shaw pauses before answering without fear...

SHAW

It wasn't my secret. I suspected the teleportation would occur, but that was pure speculation. Convincing the Institute to retry the transmission was my only opportunity for the proof I truly needed.

(beat)

If it means ending the war against the Mysterons, any secret should be made available for the asking.

CLOSE-UP - BLACK

Studies Shaw. A beat.

SHAW (O.C.) (CONT'D)

Who are you?

BLACK

An emissary.

SPECTRUM LOGO INTERCUT SEGUE

EXT. DESERT - DAY

With SOUND EFFECTS a cargo helijet with Spectrum helicopter in escort. Beneath the helijet a large cylinder is carefully suspended.

EXT. TEST SITE - DAY

Essentially a duplicate of the original, but with the rooftop dish antenna in the distance, storage tanks and pipelines leading to the building, and a roof door that swings open to receive...

ANOTHER ANGLE

High enough not to kick up much dust, the helijet gently lowers the cylinder into the building.

ANOTHER ANGLE

The Spectrum helicopter lands a distance from the building.

Int. Spectrum helicopter cabin

Two shot - blue and magenta

MAGENTA

I'm glad we didn't come here during peak hour.

BLUE

All the same, I hope you brought along plenty to read.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

GROUP SHOT

Barrett and Shaw at their posts, Technician at his, and Scarlet stands next to Kurnitz, studying the wall screen.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

SCARLET

The Colonel's broadcast went well?

KURNITZ

As well as we could monitor from Earth, Captain Scarlet. But there was no response.

(beat)

Do you wish to join your comrades, Captain?

SCARLET

Yes. Yes, I do. But I have my orders. And I gather I am not expendable.

KURNITZ

No one is expendable, Captain.

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

Studies her console monitor.

BARRETT

Captains Blue and Magenta have entered their launch vehicle.

INT. TEST SITE

The cylindrical container has opened like a clamshell to reveal a two-stage launch vehicle, cousin to the lunar shuttle. Condensation runs from umbilical lines to braces attached to the base of the vehicle.

INT. LAUNCH VEHICLE CABIN

MEDIUM - BLUE AND MAGENTA

Blue and Magenta sit at the controls, fully suited in space gear, visors down. They may wear power packs that have been modified to get them out in a hurry. The mated Pulsator and Super Transceiver Unit are perched behind them, a polarized shield separating the devices from the crew.

BLUE

Launch Vehicle to Control. Uncoupling fuel and support lines now.

Blue presses a control panel fixture.

INT. TEST SITE

With a hissing SOUND EFFECT the braces holding the umbilical lines detach and swing back from the launch vehicle.

INT. LAUNCH VEHICLE CABIN

CLOSE-UP - BLUE

His arms folded, with SOUND EFFECT a transparent cylinder quickly rises from the floor and envelops his seat. A darker visor slides over the face of his helmet.

CLOSE-UP - MAGENTA

He's likewise protected...

MEDIUM - BLUE AND MAGENTA

BLUE

(filtered)

Launch Control, we're ready when you are.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

CLOSE-UP - SCARLET

Scarlet's commlink is active and cap mike in position.

SCARLET

S-I-G, Captain Blue. And, Adam, whether or not you hear from us, at the first sign of trouble, abort the mission and eject from the launch vehicle. We want you both back.

INT. LAUNCH VEHICLE CABIN

CLOSE-UP - BLUE

Blue

(filtered)

I find that oddly reassuring. Oh, and Captain Scarlet?

Scarlet (V.O.)

(filtered)

Yes, Captain Blue?

BLUE

(filtered)

We couldn't ask for better launch conditions.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

Two shot - kurnitz and scarlet

SCARLET

S-I-G, Captain Blue. Well, Doctor Kurnitz, consider the word given.

KURNITZ

Begin the transmission.

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

Studies her console readout.

BARRETT

Target site locked.

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

Studies his console readout.

SHAW

Energy beam transmission to Test Site activated. Countdown to transmission from ten... Nine...

INT. LAUNCH VEHICLE CABIN

CLOSE-UP - Pulsator (OPTICAL AND SOUND EFFECT)

SHAW (V.O.)

(filtered)

Eight... Seven... Six...

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

TWO-SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

Study wall screen.

SHAW (O.C.)

Five... Four... Three...

SCIENTISTS' POV (optical effect)

The wall screen image of the Launch Vehicle cabin with Pulsator grows brighter, to white...

SHAW (O.C.) (CONT'D)

Two... One... Transmit!

The Launch Vehicle cabin image dissolves to white, then the random pattern of signal integrity loss. The wall screen image of the Test Site building does not change, for the building does not disappear.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

SCARLET

Captain Blue.

(beat)

Come in, Captain Blue.

(beat)

Come in, Captain Magenta. Do you read me?

KURNITZ

Switch to the other remote cameras.

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

Studies console readout.

BARRETT

No camera inside the Test Site responds. The link to Mars remains intact.

CLOSE-UP - KURNITZ

KURNITZ

Doctor Shaw?

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

Studies wall screen.

SHAW

Transmission complete. And now we wait.

SPECTRUM LOGO INTERCUT SEGUE

EXT. MARTIAN VALLEY - NIGHT (LIBRARY)

We revisit the site of the initial Mysteron confrontation with "the Earth travelers."

A closer look at a building...

Int. Mysteron room

We revisit the room in the Moon's Crater 101 where Blue, Scarlet and Green discovered the original Pulsator. It's a duplicate setting, right down to the active Pulsator on its pedestal.

ANOTHER ANGLE (OPTICAL EFFECT)

With SOUND EFFECT Blue and Magenta materialize, their backs to the Pulsator and their eyes closed. A beat or two...

CLOSE-UP - BLUE

His dark visor retracts. Opens his eyes, blinks...

BLUE

(filtered)

Captain Magenta?

CLOSE-UP - MAGENTA

His dark visor retracts. Opens his eyes, blinks...

BLUE (V.O.)

(filtered)

Are you alright?

MAGENTA

(filtered)

That was no small step.

ANOTHER ANGLE - BLUE

He looks around, but does not turn...

BLUE

(filtered)

Familiar surroundings. I'd swear we were standing in the heart of the Mysteron complex on the Moon.

MAGENTA (V.O.)

(filtered)

Perhaps we are.

ANOTHER ANGLE - TWO SHOT - BLUE AND MAGENTA

Blue turns first to face the Pulsator, Magenta next.

BLUE

(filtered)

Our hosts have seen fit to leave our launch vehicle behind.

MAGENTA

(filtered)

I'd still like to think we plan a visit only. You figure the Mysterons know what we breathe?

BLUE

(filtered)

I figure they know a great deal more about us. Let's try to call Spectrum. I'll bet they're worried about us.

MAGENTA

(filtered)

Hailing Spectrum will be difficult without the launch vehicle communications link.

BLUE

(filtered)

Open the frequency with your helmet radio. Perhaps the launch vehicle came along for the ride.

MAGENTA

(filtered)

This is Captain Magenta, calling Spectrum on Earth. Captain Magenta, calling Spectrum on Earth. Captain Blue and I have arrived.

(beat)

Captain Blue, we should report our location.

BLUE

(filtered)

Well, Moon or Mars, I'd say we're a very long way from home. Let's take some readings.

MEDIUM - MAGENTA

Holds a tricorder-like device and scans...

MAGENTA

(filtered)

Captain Blue! There's a breathable atmosphere!

BLUE (V.O.)

(filtered)

What?

MEDIUM - SHAW

Wearing a silvery suit, much like those worn by the Lunarville staff, but sans helmet and standing!

SHAW

And I can assure you, Captains, you'll find the temperature and humidity to your liking as well.

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND MAGENTA

They turn and face Shaw.

MAGENTA

(filtered)

Doctor Shaw!

CLOSE-UP - BLUE

BLUE

(filtered)

I don't believe this. But I do come prepared.

CLOSE-UP - BLUE (LIVE ACTION)

Blue reaches for his holstered pistol.

MEDIUM - SHAW

SHAW

Your weapon won't work here, Captain. But, please, think of yourselves as guests and not hostages. Captain Magenta, I believe your radio will work now.

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND MAGENTA

MAGENTA

(filtered)

This is Captain Magenta, calling Spectrum on Earth.

SCARLET (V.O.)

(filtered)

Captain Magenta! Adam! Are you alright? Where are you?

BLUE

(filtered)

S-I-G, Captain Scarlet. I believe we're in the home base of the Mysterons, on Mars. And we've met our host.

GROUP SHOT - BLUE, MAGENTA AND SHAW

Shaw approaches them...

SHAW

Not so, Captain. I'm as much a guest as you are. And you see our hosts have made special accommodations for all of us. Please, gentlemen, we've all had a very long journey. Do remove your helmets and sit with me for a while.

CLOSE-UP - BLUE

BLUE

(filtered)

Captain Scarlet, is Doctor Shaw in the control room with you?

SCARLET (V.O.)

(filtered)

He is, Captain Blue. Do you need to speak with him?

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

Motionless, but with as much a hint of a smile.

CLOSE-UP - BLUE

BLUE

(filtered; after a beat)

No, Captain. That won't be necessary, for the moment.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

They now stand in front of the wall screen, and face Barrett and Shaw. Barrett now stands.

KURNITZ

This is incredible! The radio transmission from Captain Magenta was nearly instantaneous! We have established a direct link with Mars that bypasses the known laws of physics!

TWO SHOT - BARRETT AND SHAW

Shaw remains in his wheelchair, but Barrett moves to stand behind him.

SHAW

You forget, Doctor Kurnitz. The link remains only because the Mysterons wish it so.

CLOSE-UP - SCARLET

SCARLET

A suspicion, Doctor Shaw?

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

A beat, he looks down...

INSERT - LIVE ACTION

Shaw lifts his feet off their wheelchair pedestals, they touch the ground. His legs straighten as...

MEDIUM - SHAW

He slowly but steadily rises to stand with ease and face Scarlet...

SHAW

A fact... Earthman.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

Scarlet raises his pistol and aims at Shaw.

SCARLET

You!

Kurnitz touches Scarlet's gun hand.

KURNITZ

No, Captain. He's right.

Scarlet pauses, lowers his gun.

SCARLET

Very well, Doctor. What do you want from us?

MEDIUM - SHAW

SHAW

The Mysterons want nothing, Captain Scarlet. Instead, we extend an invitation.

CLOSE-UP - SCARLET

SCARLET

And that is?

TWO SHOT - BARRETT AND SHAW

SHAW

To join us as a fellow traveler. You see, Captain, we have learned much from the people of Earth. Among many other things, we learned that we had much in common. And we suspect you know that.

CLOSE-UP - SCARLET

SHAW (O.C.) (CONT'D)

Doctor Shaw has already accepted our invitation. Ask him for yourself.

Scarlet's commlink epaulet lights flash and cap mike drops into position.

SCARLET

Captain Blue, we must speak with Doctor Shaw.

INT. MYSTERON ROOM

GROUP SHOT - BLUE, MAGENTA and shaw

Shaw and Magenta are seated. Blue stands behind Magenta; both have removed their helmets and survival packs, and each wears a color-matched balaclava with "miked" headset.

SHAW

I'm right here, Captain.

SCARLET (V.O.)

(reverb)

Are you alright, Doctor?

SHAW

I'm fine, Captain. And, thanks to the Mysterons' power of retro- metabolism, you could say I'm feeling much better. Captain, I was invited to come here, and I assure you that I accepted the Mysterons' invitation of my own free will. I feel I owe that explanation to my colleagues.

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND MAGENTA

SHAW (O.C.) (CONT'D)

In a sense, the Mysterons invited the other emissaries of Earth, and they too accepted the invitation, voluntarily. The Mysterons took note of this.

GROUP SHOT - BLUE, MAGENTA AND SHAW

SHAW (CONT'D)

Besides, Captain, have you known a Mysteron agent to deny he was a Mysteron agent?

SCARLET (V.O.)

(reverb)

Can you assure us that the new emissaries are free to leave?

CLOSE-UP - SHAW

SHAW

For what it's worth, Captain, you have my word. No harm has been done to me, and none threatened.

MEDIUM - BLUE AND MAGENTA

BLUE

All things considered, Captain Scarlet, we're also in good shape. Should we expect any more visitors?

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

MEDIUM - SHAW

Shaw remains in his wheelchair, but sits between the instrument consoles, facing the others. Barrett stands next to Kurnitz.

SHAW

The choice is yours, Captain. You are as much a reconstruction as Doctor Shaw. The Mysterons offer a new life to each of you.

GROUP SHOT - BARRETT, KURNITZ AND SCARLET

SCARLET

And what of the others on Mars?

MEDIUM - SHAW

SHAW

The choice is theirs as well. They are in no danger, Captain. We would hope Doctor Shaw's presence with them sufficient proof of that.

CLOSE-UP - BARRETT

BARRETT

Does your invitation extend to me?

ANOTHER ANGLE - MEDIUM - SHAW

SHAW

Indeed... Louise.

GROUP SHOT - BARRETT, KURNITZ AND SCARLET

BARRETT

Then I would like to go, and travel with a friend.

KURNITZ

Are you certain of this, Doctor?

BARRETT

I wouldn't miss it for the world.

MEDIUM - SHAW

SHAW

(faces Scarlet)

And your answer, Captain?

CLOSE-UP - SCARLET

SCARLET

Have you been listening in, Captain Blue?

BLUE (V.O.)

(filtered)

S-I-G, Captain Scarlet.

INT. MYSTERON ROOM

TWO SHOT - BLUE AND MAGENTA

BLUE

And speaking for at least two of us, I can only say the weather's fine, but there's no place like home.

INT. OBSERVATORY M-44 CONTROL ROOM

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

Scarlet's cap mike retracts. A thoughtful pause. Kurnitz looks at him.

SCARLET

(faces Shaw)

I believe you have my answer.

TWO SHOT - SHAW AND BARRETT

Barrett stands behind Shaw.

SHAW

We understand, Captain. Your world will still have need of you in the years to come, but no longer from fear of the Mysterons.

(beat)

Farewell, Earthmen.

ANOTHER ANGLE (OPTICAL AND SOUND EFFECT)

Barrett and Shaw vanish.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

SCARLET

I would not expect an apology.

KURNITZ

We did not ask for one.

ANOTHER ANGLE (OPTICAL and sound EFFECT)

Blue and Magenta materialize in their suits, holding their helmets and survival packs.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

SCARLET

Pleasant journey, Captains?

GROUP SHOT

Blue and Magenta approach the others.

BLUE

I must say this mode of travel takes some getting used to.

MAGENTA

But it's always better to end a fight as friends. Or at least good company in a journey.

TWO SHOT - KURNITZ AND SCARLET

SCARLET

"Makes the way to seem the shorter."

KURNITZ

It is good to know we will find fellow travelers in the universe we live in.

ALTERNATING CLOSE-UP

SCARLET

(faces Kurnitz)

Doctor, will we ever re-create the Pulsator?

KURNITZ

It may take more time without Doctor Shaw's assistance, but I am confident we will succeed.

MAGENTA

It may take less time, Doctor.

KURNITZ

How do you mean, Captain?

Medium - MAGENTA

Magenta raises his now-free left arm towards Kurnitz and Scarlet.

CLOSE-UP - MAGENTA (LIVE ACTION)

Magenta opens his left hand, reveals three smaller but lighted Pulsators in his palm.

MAGENTA (O.C.)

The Mysterons left us another gift.

Alternating CLOSE-UP

BLUE

And the next time I'm invited to step into the unknown, Captain Scarlet, you can count on my engraved invitation for a fellow traveler.

SCARLET

Spectrum Is Blue, Adam.

The others laugh in gentle relief O.C., as the MUSIC rises to a hopeful closing.

FADE OUT:

CLOSING CREDITS

THE END

[ top ]

Script created with Final Draft by Final Draft, Inc.

 

CAPTAIN SCARLET STORIES BY JOHCAFRA

BACK TO  �FAN FICTION ARCHIVES� PAGE

 

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site