Original series Suitable for all readers


Checkerboard Chuckle

A 'Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons' short

by Yarol


Author’s note: I headcanon Colonel White and Captain Black has having been friends. The first half of this fic is set in the very early days of Spectrum and the latter half after the beginning of the series.


They just walked in.  That was actually typical behavior, the Minister of Defense was a friend and colleague of old for the Colonel, although Colonel White did wonder why the Minister’s Aide seemed to be making a sudden fuss.  Then Captain Black stopped short and the Colonel took a moment longer to register what was happening in the interior office.  Just long enough for Black to tilt his head in a manner White knew well, and knew he would not be able to stop himself or salvage the Minister’s dignity if Black did more than just tilt his head.  Most people thought Conrad Turner was a dour killjoy with the sense of humor of a brick.  Most people didn’t know Conrad Turner at all.

White gently grasped Black’s sleeve and they backed out of the office, with the Minister’s Aide firmly shutting the door.

They stood side by side for what seemed like an eternity, not daring to meet one another’s eyes.  White could feel more than see Black starting to open his mouth.

“Not. A. Word. Captain.” The Colonel ordered out of the side of his mouth.

Another moment passed.  Captain Black was practically vibrating.

“I believe I forgot a file in the saloon, Sir.  Permission to retrieve it, Sir?”

“Permission granted, Captain,” White paused, “I believe I will help you.”

And they both exited as quickly as was politely possible, with a hurried nod to the Aide to indicate they would return.

~*~

It ended up as a game for the Color Captains and the Angels during downtimes – had anyone ever seen Captain Black Laugh before he was taken over by the Mysterons?  Not a polite social laugh, but actual swear to god crying tears laughter.  Most of them remembered Conrad Turner as a serious, professional, rather humorless man.  Captain Scarlet was immediately ruled out as he had somehow managed to delude himself that he had been the man’s friend.  Most of them had related near-laugh incidents when Lieutenant Green joined them and said that he had not only see Captain Black laugh, but Colonel White as well is the very early days of Spectrum.

“…so I came back to the car, and find the security shades had been activated,” Lieutenant Green said to the gathered group, “I think, ‘something’s happened’ and hurry to check and see if we need to leave.  Do you know what I found in the back seat?”

“A diplomat forgot which was their car and obliging themselves to a hooker?” Magenta waggled his eyebrows.

Destiny gave him a gentle thump to the back of the head, and remonstrated:

“Hush, Patrick!”

“That would have been less disturbing,” Green admitted with a helpless shrug, “No, I found the Colonel and Captain Black falling all over each other, laughing like they were never going to stop. I tried asking what was so funny, but all Captain Black could get out was ‘satsuma’ and ‘pickle-fork’ and the Colonel just waved it away and said he would explain later.  They both actually snorted from laughter.  Then they composed themselves and went back in to see the Minister.”

Green paused, looking put out.

“I never did find out what happened, or what was so funny.”


OTHER STORIES BY YAROL

“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site