Baseline    -    page 4

 

 

 

Although famous as an ex-test pilot for the World Aeronautical Society, Captain Blue enjoys ‘watery’ sports.  When he lived in his home town of Boston, U.S.A., Blue often travelled across America to Hawaii for a confrontation with the might of the ocean.  Of all his interests, he gets most satisfaction from surfing.  We asked our intrepid guest reporter – Phillipa Daniel – to find out more.

  

 

 

As Blue as the Sea?

 

 

Photograph courtesy of Symphony Angel.

 

 

How did surfing start?

 

It seems to have been adapted from the traditional Polynesian sport of surfing in a canoe.  My kind of surfing –with a board – was first described by Captain James King, R.N., F.R.S., in March 1779, when he saw a native surfer at Kealakekua, Hawaii Island.  The official artist on King’s ship drew a sketch of the native surfer.

 

 

Just how do you surf?

Basically, all you have to do is place a flat or streamlined-curved board on the water, some distance offshore.  Then kneel, or stand on it when a powerful wave comes along.  And let it carry you to the shore.

 

 

So you need very high waves?

 

To surf properly – yes!  But you can have great fun even when the sea isn’t so tough!  Some of the highest waves are found off Makaha Beach, Hawaii.

 

 

Are you good at it?

Yes – fairly good at it.  In 2064 I held the record for the longest ‘ride’.  I went along for about 5,000 feet at Waikiki Beach, Oahu.  There’s nothing like it, when you’re cutting across a wave and you see the beach racing to greet you!  It’s real excitement.

.

 

 

 

 

 

BASELINES   -   PAGE 5

BACK TO  “FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site