Original series Suitable for all readersMedium level of horror

 What's to Remember?

 

A “Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons” Story

By Sue Stanhope

 

 

 

Captain Scarlet waited in the dark outer chamber, as he had done dozens of times before.  At first he had been uncertain of where he was and what was to happen, but now it was as routine as showering.  But there was something else; there was always a tingle of nervous apprehension in this place; either that or fervent anticipation, he had never yet managed to determine exactly how he felt.  But now, there was no time to consider such things, he was being called through into the main chamber.  Walking through the open doorway, Scarlet squinted as the impenetrable darkness gave way to dazzlingly bright lights.  The room danced with colour, shimmering through translucent walls, ceilings and hanging panels, which gave the room the feel of a psychedelic maze.  Now, at last, and as usual, Scarlet was addressed directly.

“Captain Scarlet, this is the voice of the Mysterons. Report.”

“The mission went as planned.  The distraction worked perfectly; the bomb was discovered and during the defusing attempt, I tripped one of the wires and it exploded,” Scarlet replied.

“Did it destroy the evidence of our experiments?”

“Completely, I was able to stop that fool, Blue from finding anything by insisting that he get everyone out.  The fake timer on the bomb that showed only a minute left was enough to convince him.” Scarlet smiled, then added with a sneer, “He’s the public spirited type.”

“Was the experiment a success?”

“Unfortunately, no, the change in the process of Mysteronisation has not yet solved the X-ray problem.  However your agents are still undetected and can continue the experiments…”

“No!” the voice interrupted. “We need a fresh mind on the problem.”

“Well,” Scarlet paused briefly before continuing. “In three weeks time there will be a Science Symposium at the Chicago Physics Institute, there will be hundreds of the world’s brightest men and women gathered.  A simple distraction should allow you to take your pick.  Then, hopefully, the project will be finished quickly, allowing you to create completely undetectable Mysteron clones.”

“You have done well, Captain.  We will consider our attack on the Symposium and issue our threat when we have everything planned.  You may return.”

“Thank you,” Scarlet replied with a respectful nod of his head, before turning and returning to the dark chamber.

 

“He’s coming out of it,” the voice filtered through to Scarlet through a muffled fog, “Doctor Fawn!”

“Adam,” Scarlet smiled as he woke. “Shouldn’t you be writing a report?”

Blue raised the file resting on the bedside cabinet.

“Done it already, my friend, you’ve been out of it for a while, you know.”

“I suspect the bomb did a lot of damage, it takes time to heal.”

Blue took a deep breath. “I know, but even though I knew you’d recover, how you looked when we pulled you out of there…” Blue’s voice tapered off.

“Hey, forget it, I’m okay now.”

Blue nodded and forced a smile.

“What does it feel like?”

“Getting blown up?” Scarlet asked with a deep frown.

“No! No, after, I mean, when you’re dead.”

“Nothing, it doesn’t feel like anything, I’m dead.”

“But, don’t you dream…or anything?”

Scarlet shook his head. “No, it’s just, well, nothing and then I wake up.”

“You have no memories?”

Scarlet shrugged. “What’s to remember?”

 

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE

FAN FICTION ARCHIVES

FAN FICTION PAGE

Other stories by Sue Stanhope

Any comments?  You can send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site!