Original series Suitable for all readersAction-oriented/low level of violence


Target: International Rescue


by Lee Homer

Chapter Three

The second XD3 Bomber's flight navigation computer beeped away in the cockpit. The Mysterons' new weapon has locked onto the homing signal placed by Captain Crimson. Cutting through the night sky, it banked to starboard and altered course for Tracy Island at crippling speed. What was once a top-secret experimental aircraft was now a flying projectile. It's engine's roared like an angry predator searching for its prey. The control stick rocked back and forth by its invisible pilot.

The Tracy family gathered in the main lounge to hear Brains' account of what he had witnessed. Concern and confusion swept through the entire villa. What was Captain Crimson up to? Jeff felt inclined to agree with Scarlet's theory that Crimson had been taken by the Mysterons. He had dispatched Captain Blue to investigate the runway where Crimson was posted. His report would send chills that shook the Tracy family to the core. As he approached the end of the runway, he spotted Captain Crimson's body washed up on the shoreline. This confirmed everything. His cap microphone swung down to his lips.

"Captain Scarlet. I've just found Crimson's body. That man on the roof is a Mysterons agent. He must be stopped at once!"

Jeff felt the need to take charge of the situation. He wasn't prepared to let a Mysteron agent rip his life's work apart. Scarlet had already decided on what to do, but Jeff wasn't prepared to let him go alone.

"I've got to get up to the roof and stop him," Scarlet said as he hurried towards the hallway. "He's most likely planted a booby trap somewhere on the roof."

"You're not going alone, Captain," Jeff insisted. "Brains and Gordon will go with you. You boys better arm yourselves. We don't know what Crimson is doing up there."

"It's too dangerous!" Scarlet protested. "I must face him alone."

"Not on my island," Jeff growled. "I'm not risking Spectrum lives as well as my own family. If Crimson is armed then it should be three against one."

In all his experience as a Spectrum officer, Scarlet was used to having Government officials and VIPs reject his protection but it wasn't often that the roles would reverse. He could see that Jeff was a leader much like Colonel White. He wasn't going to lose his home to the enemy and he had to respect his wishes despite his orders.

"Alright. The three of us will go up there, but keep together."

"Okay. I'll get the guns," Gordon replied.

"We b-better keep our scanners open in case we d-detect the bomber," Brains added. "I have a theory we'll b-be able to get a better idea of what the Mysterons are trying to do."

"FAB." Jeff nodded. "We'll monitor things from here. Good luck and be careful."

The minutes ticked by intensely as the three men headed for the rooftop. Scarlet took the lead with Gordon covering from behind. They could hear shuffling from above them. Captain Crimson was still up there. Ascending the staircase, Scarlet's sixth sense kicked into gear. His head began to feel fuzzy leaving him with a nauseating sensation. Brains placed a hand on his shoulder.

"A-Are you alright, Captain?"

"I'm fine," Scarlet replied. "He's up here. I can feel him."

Drawing his gun, Scarlet stepped up onto the roof decking where his eyes clocked the shady figure of Captain Crimson. The Mysteron Agent had taken cover behind the Chimney stack, providing him with a clear line of fire. Scarlet dived for cover, calling out to the Mysteron replicant.

"Drop the gun, Crimson. It's over!"

"Come and get me, Earthman!" Crimson snarled.

The two Spectrum men exchanged gunfire, forcing Gordon and Brains to duck for cover. Bullets ricocheted across the roof, narrowly missing them by inches. The gunfight echoed above the villa. Scott reached for his gun and stood by to join the fight. Scarlet continued to draw out Crimson from his cover spot. He had been in this scenario countless times. He was Gun-playing with a zombie.

"Come on out, Crimson. There is nowhere to go! You're beaten!" he said.

Captain Crimson began to cackle demonically. "You're too late, Earthman! You will never find the hidden homing device. It'll draw the XD3 Bomber towards it. In just ten minutes, it will crash directly on top of the villa. We shall be avenged."

Scarlet picked his moment to strike. However Crimson was too fast for him. As he dived out into the open, Crimson opened fire striking the officer with five bullet holes. Gordon felt a raging surge inside him as he watched Scarlet hit the ground in a pool of blood. He raced towards Crimson and fired, hitting the Mysteron agent at point-blank range. He didn't have time to react. Captain Scarlet needed medical attention. He hurried over to Scarlet's blood-soaked body while Brains looked for the homing device. He checked the man's life signs only to find none. He was dead. Brains eventually searched the air duct and located the homing device. He pulled it out and began to inspect it.

"You found it! Now can you switch it off?"

Brains looked at him with a defeatist look. "I'm afraid I can't, G-Gordon. I haven't seen a device like this before. I'm not f-familiar with the transmitter circuits."

It was never a good sign when Brains couldn't do anything. Gordon couldn't contain his irritability. "Can't you just blast it!?"

"I could but I highly doubt i-it would alter the Bomber's course," Brains replied.

"We've got to do something!" Gordon growled. "Leave the transmitter to me. You go and fetch Captain Blue."

Grabbing the homing device, Gordon hurried down the staircase with an idea in mind. He quickly and calmly explained his idea to his father who found it hard to accept it.

"Father, I think I can steer the bomber away with Thunderbird Four by burying the homing device on the sea bed," he said. "She's already standing by."

"Why can't I just blast it in Thunderbird One?" Scott replied. "Wouldn't that be easier?"

"You saw what the first one did to Thunderbird Two? It could easily out fly Thunderbird One if you didn't time your attacks properly," Jeff argued. "I'm not prepared to risk another life today. We already have Virgil in the sick room and dead Spectrum agent on our hands."

"But Father. We must try something before it's too late," Gordon continued. "Thunderbird Four is small enough and fast enough to move out of the way should I be able to crash the Bomber into the sea."

Suddenly, a beeping sound drew their attention to the radar scanner.

"There it is!" Jeff shouted. "It's about Twenty miles out and closing. Gordon, you better be right about this. Launch Thunderbird Four and use the emergency launch procedure. Get that homing device as far away from the island as possible. We must divert that bomber's course at all costs!"

"FAB!" Gordon said as he sprinted down the hallway towards the hangar bay.

Jeff then looked at Brains. "Where's Captain Blue?"

"H-He's making preparations to return Captain Scarlet to Cloudbase," Brains stuttered. "He'll be u-up here in a few minutes."

Time was no longer on Gordon's side. Without a moment to waste, he fired up his Thunderbird's engines, propelling himself across the runway and into the waves. He set a heading that would take him miles away from the island where an ocean trench sat. He planned to plant the device inside the trench with the hopes of crashing the bomber into it. He had used the trench countless times to train his skills and test new underwater equipment. Now he was using it to save the lives of his family. His cabin clock ticked by filling his ears with an uneasy static feeling. This whole threat rested on his shoulders only to him it felt like it was pressing into his skull. Eventually, the trench appeared within his powerful searchlights. He set down on the edge of the trench before suiting up into his diving gear. Before he could leave, however, he needed a time check.

"Base from Thunderbird Four. I'm about to place the homing device. How long have I got?"

"You have just three minutes, Gordon. Make it snappy."

"FAB."

Leaving his submarine, Gordon swam deep into the trench. His visibility was poor, relying on a flashlight to find a suitable spot. He came across a ledge that sat out in the open. Placing the device onto the ledge, he quickly swam back towards Thunderbird Four, hoping to make it out in time. Back at the villa, the windows began to shake to a loud ear-piercing sound. Captain Blue, who had just stepped into the room, instructed Jeff his sons to dive for cover. Alan peered up to see the large Bomber swoop over their heads and out towards the sea. They watched on in amazement as the Bomber crashed beneath waves with an almighty thud. A huge fireball shot up from the sea causing a small tidal surge to batter the island. Fortunately, there was no major damage.

Jeff lift himself off the ground and grabbed the microphone.

"Base to Thunderbird Four. You did it, Gordon! Are you alright?"

He was met with static over the radio. The family began to fear for the worst.

"Gordon! can you hear me!?"

Then suddenly, after a nail-biting minute of radio silence.

"Base from Thunderbird Four. I'm okay. I made it back in time but Thunderbird Four was thrown clear from the blast. I'm okay though."

Everybody breathed a sigh of relief. The oppressive atmosphere started to lift returning to it's serene and ambient setting. Captain Blue reported the situation to Cloudbase before he said his goodbyes.

"May I congratulate your son on his act of bravery," he said. "International Rescue is a fine outfit and real credit to Spectrum."

"Do you think The Mysterons will make another attempt?" Scott asked.

"No. They'll leave you alone now," Blue replied. "The Mysterons never strike after their midnight deadline. Hopefully, they'll never decide to come after you again. I have to return Captain Scarlet's body to Cloudbase now."

"Wait one moment," Jeff said stopping Blue in his tracks. "I just want to express our condolences for the loss of Captain Scarlet. He was a very brave man and he was devoted to his duties. He didn't die in vain."

"I'm sure he'd be most grateful to hear that when he comes round," Blue replied.

Dumbfounded, Jeff couldn't help but ask. "What do you mean? The man is dead. He was shot in the chest five times. There's no way anybody could have survived?"

"As hard as this might sound, Captain Scarlet will live. In a few short hours will have completely healed," Blue explained. "You see, he has these extraordinary powers of retro-metabolism. A trait that has rendered him indestructible. He is our greatest asset against The Mysterons and will be back on duty sooner than you think. Anyway, I must be going. Goodnight Gentlemen."

Jeff and Scott made their way to the runway to watch the Spectrum Jet lift off into the night's sky. They couldn't pretend to understand what the Captain had just explained to them, but they owed a lot to Captain Scarlet with the hope and promise of serving with him in the future.

"He is a brave man," Scott said. "I just wish we could have done more."

"Scott, you're forgetting," Jeff replied. "We're all doing our bit in this senseless war. Those men were doing their jobs even at the cost of losing two men. We needed their help and one day we shall repay the favor. Together, we'll end the war someday."

END

Back to chapter 1

Back to chapter 2


“HALLOWEEN FAN FICTION” PAGE

OTHER STORIES FROM LEE HOMER

“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site