Original series Suitable for all readersSexual innuendo

Children_of_this_universe

A Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons story in two parts by

Janile Gnosoma

Part One: New Beginnings

 

Chapter: 1 June 2066

Cloudbase was a confusing place and only a month after the base was occupied, it was still easy to get lost in the identical corridors that ran in a grid pattern along and across the vast base. Of course, there were also the inevitable teething problems of escalators jamming or lifts stopping between floors, and, on the whole, this was the usual reason people preferred to offer when they arrived late for meetings. So, for whatever reason, no one was surprised when Captain Blue, looking hot and apologetic, crept into the conference room and slunk into the only vacant chair.

Colonel White gave his officer a long-suffering glance but refrained from comment. He continued with his agenda: “As I was saying, I am open to discussion about the procedures governing the way Cloudbase is run, but there’s very little room for debate. Health and safety, as much as the efficient running of the base, dictates that there is a right and a wrong way – and we will be doing it the right way.”

Around the table the attendees all nodded their understanding.

“Does anyone have a point they wish to raise now?” White asked. “I’m assuming that you have all read the procedures manual, of course.”

“Most of it, sir,” Captain Magenta replied, with a glance at his colleagues, who were all suddenly engrossed in their paperwork. “There’s a good deal that doesn’t apply to field officers, so I didn’t pay much attention to that.”

The colonel’s disapproval was obvious. “Let me assure you, Captain Magenta, all of the procedures apply to every officer on this base. Any of you could find yourself in command of any of the sections in the course of events and I expect you to be conversant with every regulation that applies to the section you are in. Your decisions must be in accordance with stated procedures.”

Captain Scarlet, the youngest of the senior officers gathered in the room but the man with the most regular military experience, spoke in support of his fellow captain. “Sir, I understand exactly what you’re saying and I concur, by and large, but no officer commanding a section would expect to follow procedures under every circumstance. There has to be scope for initiative or you might as well have a computer issuing the orders.”

“The emergency protocols must always be followed, but I accept that incidents may arise where it is necessary to…improvise, Captain Scarlet. However, this is not something I wish to encourage.” Colonel White knew that Captain Scarlet’s reputation as a first-class soldier was in despite of his willingness to deviate from accepted practice all too often and not because of it. “A great deal of thought and evaluation has gone into the production of these procedures and they are not to be ignored. You may think you and your colleagues have the experience to act outside of the regulations, Captain, but none of you have ever been posted to an airborne base like Cloudbase.”

“With respect, sir, neither had the committee that wrote the procedures, however long they thought about it and evaluated those thoughts. I understand that we need regulations and procedures to ensure we’re all singing from the same hymn-book, but I don’t like the idea of too rigid a command strategy.”

Colonel White raised one dark eyebrow and spoke with great authority: “When you are the commander-in-chief, Captain Scarlet, you can relax the command strategy as much as you like; but you are not in command now and you, along with everyone here, will familiarise yourself with the regulations in their entirety. Do I make myself understood, gentlemen?”

Captain Scarlet flushed and, although his expression showed his continuing dissent, he nodded.

“I’d like to clarify the meaning of Section 4, paragraph 5.9, subsection 3, Colonel,” Captain Blue said into the subsequent silence. “This states that there will be a full fire and evacuation drill twice daily. We haven’t had one at all so far, sir.”

 Colonel White frowned and flicked through the manual on his desk, running his finger down the page to the relevant place. He glanced up in surprise at the man on his right and said, “So it does. Captain Black, can you explain this? I understood there was to be a full drill twice a year, with monthly fire drills. ”

Captain Black rolled his eyes and sighed. “Yes, Colonel, it should be twice yearly. It must be a typo.” He glanced across at Captain Blue. “Thanks for bringing it to my attention,” he said with heavy irony, adding, for the colonel’s benefit, “I’ll get it corrected for the revised versions.”

Colonel White shook his head. “That will be too late. Lieutenant Green, see that a corrected page is issued immediately.”

“S.I.G, Colonel.”

The meeting droned on for another hour before the colonel was satisfied his officers understood that he would not tolerate anything except obedience to the letter of his orders and efficiency in carrying them out.

The captains all stood as White left the room and when the door closed behind him the atmosphere discernibly relaxed.

“I thought we were going to be an elite anti-terrorist force, not the management committee for a hovering Stalinist Gulag,” Captain Magenta said dryly.

Captain Scarlet glanced at Captain Blue and asked, “It sounded like you’ve read the entire manual. What are you trying to be: the Spectrum Swot?”

“I was on duty last night and it was very quiet. I had nothing else to do,” the American explained.

“Well, you’re the definitely colonel’s favourite for now,” said Captain Brown, with a wry smirk.

Blue shrugged. “Ten-to-one it won’t last and, anyway, I was late, remember? I already had some catching up to do.”

“Let’s get some coffee,” suggested Captain Indigo. “I could do with reviving after that.”

There was a general murmur of agreement but Captain Blue shook his head and said, “Much as I’d love to, I need to get some shut-eye; I’m on nights again. I’m not sure I trust that Room of Sleep arrangement and, besides, those beds look damned uncomfortable to me.”

He waved farewell as the others left to go to the canteen.

***

“I must’ve read that manual line by line, from cover to cover, half-a-dozen times and I never spotted that mistake.”

Captain Black and Captain Scarlet were sitting in the canteen at a table by one of the small portholes. Scarlet swallowed his mouthful of jam doughnut and consoled his friend as best he could.

“Often the way, Conrad; you were probably trying too hard. Mind you, I wouldn’t have bet on Blondie spotting it either.”

“Nor me – and why didn’t he mention it to me privately instead of dropping me in the shit with the colonel? Besides, if it comes to that, Lieutenant Green should’ve noticed it when he checked the draft,” Captain Black grumbled and gulped from his mug of tea. “I don’t think Green likes me very much,” he added thoughtfully. “I have no idea why he doesn’t; I’ve hardly spoken to the man since Spectrum became operational and before that I was as co-operative as I could be when he requested something be done before he arrived to complete the IT installation.”

Privately, Scarlet agreed with Black’s analysis, but he was still a little confused. “I thought that, like you, Green was one of the commissioning crew that got the base set up?”

“Only in as much as he worked with the colonel. They were off conducting training missions for the Angel pilot candidates a lot of the time. Brown and I were the ones left up here doing the actual work.”

Scarlet shrugged. “Well, in that case, maybe he’s jealous of your relationship with the colonel? After all, you have a reputation as a civil war veteran and an astronaut outside of Spectrum and you were the first person White asked to join him when he was setting everything up and it’s obvious that he trusted you to get the job done.”

Black pursed his lips, but looked as if he thought the idea was plausible. Scarlet warmed to his theme:

“You’re also probably the only person White would grant an interview to, if Green was blocking access; my guess is that Greenie’s well aware White would take your side against his, if it ever came to that. He’s well aware that his personal clout on the base depends on the fact that he’s the gatekeeper to the colonel and you must seem like a threat to that.”

“Good grief, I never realised you had such a truly Machiavellian mind, Metcalfe.”

Scarlet grinned. “I’ve played office politics in the World Army Air Force, Conrad, and if you don’t play to win in the WAAF you might as well resign yourself to a career that’s never going to go anywhere. That said, Green seems a nice enough guy, if a bit young for all his responsibility.”

“Says the man who was a full colonel within two years of graduating from West Point.”

Scarlet grinned. “I think they just wanted to promote me to a desk as soon as possible. I was … something of a ‘loose cannon’, according to my first commanding officer. They didn’t know what to do with me.”

“So they palmed you off on Spectrum? That was nice of them; you’re just what’s needed on an airborne military base – a loose cannon making holes all over the place.” Black laughed at his own wit.

Scarlet laughed too. “I think we’re a collection of misfits, Conrad; I can’t see rebels quaking in their boots at the thought of any of us. I also don’t understand why the Powers That Be imagine we’ll be able to fight terrorism stuck up here at 40,000 feet. We ought to be on the ground sniffing them out and hunting them down!”

“Down, Tiger; it’ll come quick enough.”

“Not quick enough for me,” said Captain Scarlet.

***

It had always been Colonel White’s intention that Cloudbase would be defended by a squadron of female fighter pilots, codenamed the Angels. Despite the advances made towards equality of opportunity, it was unusual to have such a strategically important military unit that was exclusively female and White wanted Spectrum in the vanguard. It had not been as easy as he’d hoped to find suitable candidates and, at the moment, the squadron of six pilots only consisted of two ex-WAAF female pilots: a Frenchwoman, who was the Squadron Leader, and a young black American. However, a Japanese pilot had just completed her training and was due to arrive on Cloudbase in the near future and two more recruits were extricating themselves from their former lives, while the recruitment committee continued to shift through the list of potential candidates.

Like their male colleagues, the Angel pilots had codenames: the Squadron Leader was Destiny Angel, but the others had a choice of predominantly musical names: Elegy, Fantasy, Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody, Symphony and Ternary. The American pilot had chosen Melody Angel as her codename, because she considered that it chimed with her own name, Magnolia, and it had been announced that the eagerly-awaited new pilot would be known as Harmony Angel. No one was quite sure why the Squadron Leader’s name bucked the musical trend, except perhaps that it was intended to mark her differing status from the others. The male lieutenants currently seconded to the squadron reported Destiny to be a good leader and both women as ‘impressive’ pilots.

The operating procedures required that three ‘Angels’ were on duty at any one time, ready to launch their sleek, state-of-the-art jets immediately when necessary. One pilot spent the entire four-hour duty shift in the cockpit of her plane – Angel One – while the other two waited in a comfortable standby lounge, known from its décor as The Amber Room. It was not unusual for off-duty officers to wander down and socialise with the young women, who welcomed visitors as a distraction from the tedium of stand-by duty.

On this occasion, Captain Magenta was describing the meeting with Colonel White to Destiny and Melody Angels who were on duty as Angels Two and Three, respectively.

“Gee,” Melody Angel remarked, as he finished explaining that the colonel had ordered them to familiarise themselves with the entire procedures manual, “I sure hope he doesn’t expect us to do the same. It’d be a sure-fire cure for my insomnia.”

“I don’t know if he included the Angel squadron,” Magenta replied honestly, “but maybe you’d better take note and pre-empt any order by saying you’re already doing it?”

“Thanks for the tip-off, Captain,” she said. “I know I didn’t bother to read most of it.” She rolled her brown eyes and shrugged. “This sucks. I never signed up for rigid military procedures. Although, I admit if it was anything like the real World Army Air Force around here we wouldn’t get time to lounge around making conversation.” Melody had spent a couple of years in the WAAF and had found it stifling.

“There is a need for everyone to conform, I understand that,” Destiny said. She’d lasted three years in the WAAF but had also found the lack of personal freedom too high a price to pay for indulging her love of flying. “I think the WAAF is, perhaps, the most regimented of the forces? When the Top Brass will have retired, things will change, peut-être?”

“That might be a possibility at the WAAF, but I wouldn’t bank on the colonel going any time soon,” Magenta remarked, with a smile at her. “And it’s him we have to please now. Dig out the manuals, girls, and get reading!”

“Ah, I do not wish to spend my time doing that.” Destiny gave an expressive wave of her immaculately manicured hands. “I will wait and see if the order comes and then I will read. Besides, if we know we are to be assigned to another section, we can always brush up then on the manuals, n’est-ce pas?

“Yeah, and it’s not likely we’ll ever be assigned to other departments, is it?” Melody reasoned. “We hardly get time to sleep now. Four hours on and four hours off is not normal and I don’t think it’s humanly possible to do it indefinitely.”

Magenta hesitated and then asked, “I’ve been wondering, if you don’t mind me asking, what happens if you get… caught short in Angel One?”

“Caught short?” Destiny looked puzzled.

 “It’s no different for us than for the lieutenants: we cross our legs and think dry thoughts,” Melody said and sniggered. “Why do you think we’re always bursting for the bathroom and have a raging thirst when we come out of Angel One?”

The captain shrugged.

She recalled that Magenta had admitted he was a novice pilot and decided to take pity on his ignorance. “We radio down for a comfort break and Angel Two goes up there and we get 15 minutes – max! Mind you, if anyone started taking too many comfort breaks, I guess things might get a little heated.”

Magenta laughed. “There, you’ve completely set my mind at rest, Melody. It was worrying me that the security of Cloudbase might depend on a pilot whose only concern was not peeing in the cockpit.”

 

Chapter 2  August 2066

The officers’ equivalent of the Amber Room was far more prosaically known as the Officers’ Lounge and it was here that the off-duty captains gathered to while away the hours between field missions and their other on-board duties. At any time of the day or night there were usually a couple of men relaxing in the comfort of the informal surroundings. Some attention had been paid to ensuring there were enough distractions to occupy the widely-disparate interests of the senior officers and, for the most part, everyone was careful not to annoy their colleagues by commandeering the room.

This evening Captain Blue had the rare luxury of having the place to himself and he was sitting with his feet resting on a low coffee table, while he read the latest issue of a current affairs magazine. He was wearing his colour-coded uniform, but had removed his cap, effectively disabling personal radio contact with his colleagues and central command. On the first day of a tour of night duty, he had spent most of the past 8 hours asleep and having eaten in the canteen he was relaxing before going on duty again. He felt a spasm of irritation as the doors opened which dissipated as Captain Ochre came in, carrying a large plastic crate.

Hiya, Blondie; all alone?” Ochre called, as he carefully made his way down the steps into the centre of the room.

Blue made a show of glancing around and nodded. “Looks like it.”

Ochre shook his head pityingly at this, then asked: “I need to use the table. Okay with you?”

“Be my guest. I’m on duty in an hour so it won’t disturb me.”

Ochre heaved the crate onto the table and began to unpack it. Blue watched with a casual interest.

“You’re making a model?” he asked.

“Looks like it.”

Ochre glanced up as the taller man came and stood beside him.

“Isn’t that going to mean the table’ll be tied up for some time? What if someone else needs to use it?” Blue said, reaching down to pick up one of the pieces Ochre had already unloaded.

“First come, first served; that’s what I always say. Be careful with that, the glue’s barely set!”

Blue replaced it carefully on the table top. He could see that this model was way superior to the usual self-build kit models he had toyed with as a child. “Sorry. What is it going to be once you’ve finished it?”

“It’s a Viper Jet, but I’m going to customise it in the Angels’ livery and give it to Destiny as a birthday present. Problem is, it’s too big for the table in my room so I thought I’d do that here. It isn’t as if she’s likely to see it, is it? Getting those girls out of the Amber Room is like drawing teeth.”

“Why would you want to drag them in here? It’s nice to have somewhere on the base that they can’t take over.”

Ochre rolled his eyes. “Well, for one thing, they’re prettier than you.”

“If you say so; but they talk too much,” Blue countered, flushing slightly. “You can’t get any peace or privacy around here.”

“You don’t say?” Ochre remarked pointedly, laying the last of his modelling tools on the table and preparing to sit down. “Peace and privacy are in short supply everywhere today.”

Blue, not normally obtuse, did not take the hint.

“Why Destiny?”

“Well, she’s the one with the birthday…”

“When is it?” asked Blue, confident that his companion would have the answer. Since he had re-joined his fellow captains on Cloudbase three weeks ago, Ochre had made it his business to get to know the three Angel pilots.

“A couple of weeks – on the 23rd, so I have enough time to get it all painted properly and for the varnish to dry, just as long as I can get on with it whenever I have a chance.”

“Oh; do you think we all need to give her a present?”

“You can if you like; it’s not compulsory, as far as I know,” Ochre replied. “I happen to like making models and in the course of a conversation, she told me that even though the Angel Jets were top secret, she wished she could find a model of her machine.”

“23rd August…that means she’s a Virgo – I think.”

“That I doubt.” Ochre gave a suggestive wink and grinned.

Blue gave a splutter of laughter. “You might be right; she’s a looker, sure enough.”

“Hey, I saw her first, Blondie. As I hear it, you’re already fitted up with your own squeeze, so don’t get greedy.”

“Calm down; I just meant that I can understand why you’d want to give her a present and… get friendly.”

“Well, I’m not expecting her to fall into my arms just because I give her a model plane, but stranger things have happened. Besides, if the other Angel recruits are up to standard there’ll be other possibilities.”

Blue shrugged, a little doubtfully. “We are expecting another three; but do you think it’s likely there are three more twinkies out there who can fly jet planes?”

 “A guy can hope, can’t he? You know, it’s enough to make you weep: they insist we’re not supposed to indulge in fraternisation but they go and put all that pneumatic femininity in our neighbourhood. Someone in the commissioning committee either had a warped sense of humour or was a closet sadist. I’m not cut out for the celibate life.”

“Then, for Chrissake, do something about it, Cloudbase isn’t supposed to be a monastery. A one-night stand doesn’t signify a lifetime’s commitment,” Blue retorted. “Failing that, I’m sure Doctor Fawn could provide a regular dose of bromide, if you feel the need.”

“Oh, I feel the need….”

“If she’s willing, why hesitate?”

Ochre gave his companion a searching look. “Haven’t you ever experienced the inevitable consequence of a one-night-stand office-romance?”

Blue gave the question a moment’s thought. “No, I can’t say I have; but then, I’ve never worked in an actual office either,” he added quickly, by way of an explanation, in the face of Ochre’s expression of disbelief.

“Well, take it from me, don’t try it. Cloudbase isn’t big enough to escape the ball-breaking retribution of a vengeful harpy and it isn’t as if you could request a transfer. Those girls might look as if butter wouldn’t melt in their mouths but they’re trained to kill, remember.”

“So are we,” Blue reminded him in his turn, “I’d call that a stalemate.”

He ambled back to his seat and picked up his magazine, but he didn’t start reading again; instead he continued to watch Ochre as he began to work on his model.

“You wanna help?” Ochre asked, becoming aware of, and slightly unnerved by, the scrutiny.

Blue flushed. “Not really. I just have this life-long fascination for watching paint dry.”

Ochre did a double-take at his companion and saw the slight smile at the corner of Blue’s wide mouth. He laughed aloud.

“Then be my guest, buddy.”

***

Lieutenant Green prided himself on producing a high standard of work and expected no less from the others in his unit. He checked the time and called up the latest duty rota, checking who should be logging on. There was a red indicator on the Angel dashboard, signifying that Angel One wasn’t manned, but unless the alarm sounded he could safely assume that the replacement pilot was on her way to take the helm. He was reassured when, moments later, Harmony Angel logged off the system and Destiny logged in.

The door to the Control Room snapped open and he glanced over his shoulder to see Captain Blue on the automatic walkway. Colonel White logged out of the controls and stood, gathering his paperwork.

“Goodnight, sir,” Blue said, as the colonel turned to leave.

“Goodnight, Captain. I hope it’s a peaceful one. Goodnight, Lieutenant.”

“Goodnight, Colonel.”

“Shouldn’t you be going off duty too, Lieutenant?” Blue asked, as he logged into the command system.

“Yes, sir. Lieutenant Jade will be here shortly for the handover and I’m off duty in exactly 17 minutes.”

“Anything I should know about?”

“I’ve forwarded you the latest reports, sir. They’re in the duty folder.”

Feeling well and truly put in his place, Blue nodded and sat down at the circular command desk that overlooked the Control Room. The bewildering array of buttons and switches was becoming familiar and he checked that the secure network to the World President had been switched from Colonel White to Duty Commander. This was for emergency use only and woe-betide any officer who used it for less than a life and death situation.

Lieutenant Jade arrived and the two administrative officers went over the checks and reports before Green logged off and bid the duty officers goodnight. Blue sighed and started reading the report from Spectrum’s Berlin office. So far there was little indication he’d have any more to do this shift than he’d had last night.

***

 At 03:18 Cloudbase Time, Jade took a call from a terrestrial agent based in Ladysmith. She put the agent through to Captain Blue immediately.

“Commander, there’s going to be an attack on the Klip River dams,” the agent announced in a rush. “The National Freedom Brigade has threatened to blow them both and flood Ladysmith and half the state.”

“Calm down, Agent 652, and tell me if you know when it’s planned to take place?”

“Not precisely, sir, but my informant says it’s imminent. One known NFB member has been seen buying explosives in Durban. If you check with Agent 608 he can confirm the details. I went to inspect the dams today and security isn’t as sharp as you’d want, but then, these are not high profile targets and I think the men have grown complacent, Commander.”

“Why choose these dams as targets?”

“The NFB’s second-in-command, Tyberius Zondi, comes from the Ladysmith area and, as you must know, he was arrested in Cape Town last month. The NFB vowed revenge for that.”

“I see; we’ll send a security team to investigate. Keep Cloudbase informed of any further news.”

“S.I.G., Commander. Agent 652 out.”

“Who’s on duty, Jade?”

“Captain Black and Captain Scarlet, sir.”

“Put me through to the Officers’ Lounge.”

Captain Black was losing at chess and welcomed the interruption.

Blue explained: “The National Freedom Brigade’s supposed to be looking to retaliate for the arrest of one of their commanders in Cape Town recently and Agent 652, in Ladysmith, has reported a threat to the Klip River dams. I want you to go and check it out.”

“I thought those bozos were supposed to be a spent force,” Black remarked, as he got to his feet and picked up his radio cap.

Maybe, but even spent bozos can use explosives,” Blue replied and added with exaggerated politeness, “Of course, if you’d rather not go…?”

“We’re on our way, Captain,” Scarlet said, glaring at Black.

Mission details will be sent to the on-board computer. I know it might not amount to anything, but we can’t afford to take that risk,” said Blue.

“Understood, Captain Blue. We’ll check it out. Scarlet out.”

As they walked down to the Hangar Bay, Scarlet remonstrated with his partner. “You almost got us taken off the case. You know Blondie’s a stickler for protocol and he’d have sent the stand-by team if I hadn’t cut in, and then he’d have reported you for insubordination.”

Black remained unmoved. “He’s not as naïve as you seem to think. He knew I wasn’t suggesting we do nothing. Either way, I could see you were itching to go, so I wouldn’t have jeopardised our little jaunt to the wilds of Africa.”

“Yeah, and you’d just realised you were going to lose another game,” Scarlet replied, grinning broadly.

D’you really think I’d be that petty?”

“Yes – but then, so would I. Come on, I’ll drive.”

***

The Angels knew that a Spectrum Patrol Jet had taken off on a mission as soon as it happened and Melody contacted the Control Room for details under the guise of seeing if they could be of any help.

“Blue isn’t here at the moment, but I can tell you that Black and Scarlet are going to Ladysmith to check out some dams,” Jade explained. “I don’t think it’s going to be a major incident but, as Acting-Commander, Blue thinks we shouldn’t take any risks.”

“No joke? Well, we’d already realised that risk avoidance is built into his genes. I guess that’s why he was such a successful Test Pilot,” Melody replied genially.

“Guess so,” Jade agreed. “He’s okay, but his ultra-caution makes for a very dull life at times. Uh: S.I.G., I’ll keep you informed, Angel Two,” she said, suddenly reverting to formality.

“Oh, he’s back is he? Okay, thanks, Jade. Catch you later.”

“I’ve bought you a coffee from the Officers’ Restaurant, Lieutenant, perhaps that’ll make up for the dullness…?”

She flushed red and stammered, “Sorry, sir…”

Blue gave her a dry smile and went back to his desk. He had some sympathy with her comment: Spectrum wasn’t turning out to be the action-packed option he’d expected it to be either. There was bound to be a period of bedding down, he considered, and they were all still finding their feet, but the prospect of another week of night duty was certainly as dull as Jade had implied. He glanced at the details about the dams and the area around Ladysmith and, after becoming distracted by the turbulent history of the area, wished it was him who had gone to investigate.

He pulled himself together, drank his coffee and focused on the other reports he had to clear before his shift ended.

***

As Captain Scarlet drove the Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle over the rough ground with more enthusiasm than care, he explained: “I much prefer to be doing something, Conrad. Anything is better than being cooped up on Cloudbase. That isn’t my idea of fighting terrorism.”

“So you keep saying. Ouph! Do you think you could try and avoid the potholes, for a change? I know this machine is supposed to be virtually indestructible, but we aren’t, and before they put ‘died on active service’ beside my name, I’d like to have seen some active service.”

Scarlet grinned. “We need to take the most direct route to the dams and this is it. I can’t help it if there’re potholes everywhere. We should see the first dam any minute – now!”

He took a small hill at speed and, as the SPV shot over the brow, before them lay a wide river valley with an impressive dam structure stretching across the open veldt of the flood plain.

“Wow…” said Scarlet.

“’The purpose of Qedusizi Dam is to reduce the risk of flooding the low-lying areas of Ladysmith against floods’,” Black read from the on-board computer screen. “Who writes this stuff? Anyway, it goes on: ‘The 32-metre-high dam is designed in such a way that the flood water from the Klip River and the Sand Spruit’ – whatever that is – ‘will be stored temporarily. The impounded water will be released at a controlled rate taking into account the safe carrying capacity of the Klip River through Ladysmith whilst at the same time taking due cognizance of the effects of flooding from the intermediate catchment, mainly the Flagstone Spruit. The dam will remain empty for most of the time, i.e. between flood events’.”

“It’s certainly empty now,” Scarlet said, sounding disappointed.

“There’s an older dam - the Windsor dam - upstream of here,” Black explained. “That’s silted up over the years, so they built this one for when the flood water breaches it. I guess you’d have to blow them both if you wanted to flood Ladysmith. But even if it didn’t flood at the time you breached them, the chances are that when the next rains come the city would be inundated. Repairs would take time and repairing or reconstructing both dams will cost a helluva lot.”

“It’s going to take the two of us some time to search this place for potential explosives,” Scarlet said, his disappointment at the prospect of such a mundane outcome to the mission clearly apparent on his face. “We’d better talk to the people in charge and see what they have to tell us.”

“Agent 652 reported that there wasn’t adequate security,” Black reminded him. “We’re going to have to check it all out, considering it’s possible the NFB have infiltrated the personnel.” He was a thorough and capable officer and was not to be distracted from undertaking the essential processes of any investigation, however much Scarlet detested what he considered as ‘boring routine’.

“S.I.G., Captain,” the younger man replied with just a hint of rebellion in his voice. With a mischievous smirk, he gunned the accelerator and raced along the dirt track towards the dam, ignoring Black’s protests.

***

As the new day dawned on Cloudbase, Colonel White listened to Captain Blue’s duty-briefing in silence.

“Have Black and Scarlet reported in?” he asked, as Blue concluded.

Blue nodded. “Their next report is due in approximately 30 minutes, sir. They contacted the control staff for the Qedusizi dam and then Scarlet went on to the Windsor dam, while Captain Black conducted a thorough security review and instigated a search of the first dam for evidence of sabotage, sir.”

White nodded. “You were right to send them to investigate and, even if this proves to be a non-event, we must remain vigilant because it seems the NFB is not as cowed as we believed. I want you to consult the head of Spectrum: South Africa and consider what safeguards can put in place to monitor and contain the NFB’s activities. As I’m sure you know, the relationship between the World Government and several of the African states is a little difficult at the moment; therefore, Spectrum must be seen to be above such matters and act to prevent any perceived threat. Good work, Captain.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Dismiss, Captain.”

After a detailed discussion with the South African office and writing a report for the colonel’s consideration, Blue went down to the Officers’ Lounge to unwind before getting something to eat. Ochre’s model was still on the table and he spent some time admiring the detailed work before making a cup of coffee.

He had just settled down to drink it when Captain Grey came in.

“Morning, Captain. How was night duty?”

“Black and Scarlet are in South Africa investigating an NFB threat, but apart from that, it was quiet.”

After Grey’s curiosity about the mission had been satisfied, they sat in companionable silence for a while. Suddenly, the dark-haired American broke the silence and leant forwards, his elbows on his knees and asked his compatriot, “What do you make of Spectrum, Blue? We’ve been on Cloudbase for almost three months and – well, it hasn’t exactly been a hot-bed of activity, has it?”

“Having second thoughts, Captain?”

Grey shook his head. “Not really, but, well, Magenta keeps saying that he feels at a loose end and I wondered if that was the general feeling. That’s all.”

Blue paused in thought before replying: “I think we all expected too much too soon. Like you, I’ve seen reports coming in from around the globe and I know our agents are out there, ceaselessly gathering intelligence. Thankfully, there hasn’t been a major terrorist incident recently and it’d be perverse to wish there had been, wouldn’t it?”

“It would.” Grey nodded but he was still frowning.

Blue raised an interrogative eyebrow and waited; he had come to value Grey’s opinions and analytical insights into problems; whatever was worrying his colleague was likely to be worth knowing about.

Finally, Grey continued, “When I heard yesterday that the World Government’s refused to increase the complement of Angel pilots, it made me wonder if Bandranaik’s losing it. Rumour has it that he’s not in the best of health and, as you know, there’re enough World Senators who consider Spectrum as his vanity project and are counting the pennies and wondering if we’re worth it.”

“I thought Vice-President Younger was in full support of Spectrum and everything it stands for? If the two top guys are on our side, surely we’re safe?”

“You’d hope so, wouldn’t you? But, you know as well as I do that Younger doesn’t have Bandranaik’s support base. What’s more, he doesn’t have the authority to override the accountants on the Security Committee when they’re whinging on about their concerns. I hate to say it, in case it’s tempting fate, but our Charter hasn’t been formerly agreed yet. Until that’s done, it seems to me that Spectrum’s vulnerable.”

Blue considered this and nodded. “You have a point, but I think that the politicians – even the politicians – realise that conventional Earth forces can’t deal with the continuing terrorist threats. Spectrum might be costing millions to create and fund, but that’s peanuts if you compare it to the estimates for funding the established services to the point where they could do the job. Besides, the Supreme Commander Earth Forces has stated that as a new force, untainted by past conflicts and politics, he considers Spectrum essential to global peacekeeping, or so I read. The Security Committee would be mad to go against his advice.”

Grey nodded thoughtfully. “It seems obvious to us but the World Senate has made some pretty stupid decisions before now.”

“Well, if they’re dumb enough to close us down, I guess I can always go and work with my father. That’d make his day.”

“I can’t see you working 9-to-5 in an office, somehow.”

 “Neither can I; it was a bone of contention between me and my father for years until, after I’d spent years breaking my balls for the WAS, he finally admitted I wasn’t suited for office life. Yet, my mother still thinks I’m shiftless and workshy.” Blue smiled ruefully. “What would you do if Spectrum folded?”

Grey shrugged. “I suppose I could go back to the WASPs, but I’d probably end up behind a desk and I had enough of that while recovering from my back injury. I think that, rather than a desk job, I’d cut my losses and buy a boat: do charter work – passengers or cargo - it wouldn’t matter as long as I was on the water.”

“Sounds like a nice life; maybe I’ll join you.”

Grey grinned at the younger man. Moments later, Captains Ochre and Magenta came in deep in conversation.

“You’re gonna have to move that model, you know,” Magenta was saying. “Or she’ll see it before you’re ready to present it to her.”

“The Angels never come here.”

“That’s all you know. I’m taking Destiny to the Officers’ Restaurant tomorrow, for a little pre-birthday celebration, and then, if I’m lucky, it’ll be back to my place for some entente cordiale.”

“You wish,” Ochre commented grudgingly.

Magenta ignored him, smiled smugly and continued, “She said she’d meet me here when she comes off duty.”

“No kidding?”

“No kidding; so you’d better move it before then, buddy.”

Ochre looked at his companions. “What’s he got that I haven’t?” he asked rhetorically.

Chutzpah?” Grey suggested. “Have you ever asked either of them, out?”

“No; I was obeying the rules.”

“That’s not like you,” Magenta remarked sarcastically.

Ochre gave him the finger and ignored the comment. “Now you’re all gonna tell me you’ve been humping the Angels for weeks…”

“No such luck,” Grey admitted.

“Can I help my magnetic personality?” Magenta preened ostentatiously and Ochre gave a guffaw of laughter.

“Huh, some magnetism; you’ve been buttering Destiny up for weeks,” Grey said, grinning.

“Has he?” Blue sounded genuinely surprised.

“Where’ve you been lately? The Moon? It’s all over the canteen,” Ochre interjected, relishing the opportunity to score against the gloating Irish-American.

“Well, it’s news to me, but then I haven’t been paying much attention,” Blue admitted.

“Why not? Gossip makes the world go round,” said Grey. “Or if not the world exactly, it at least makes the days pass on Cloudbase.”

 “Maybe it’s worth the rest of us trying to ask them out for a date and some of that ‘aunt-aunt-cordy-all’ Magenta was on about,” Ochre said, a lascivious expression on his face. “Wha’d’ya think, Blondie?”

“You take your chances, Ochre; I’ve already made my own arrangement,” Blue said, getting to his feet. “And no, I don’t care to share what that is exactly. I’m going to get something to eat and curl up in bed with a good book – this time.”

“You arrogant sonofabitch,” Ochre retorted, as Blue gave him an ironic salute and left the room. Then he turned to the others. “You reckon he’s telling the truth?”

“Oh, I don’t imagine he’d lie – well, not about that,” Grey said. He grinned at Ochre’s expression and added, “Besides, he probably realises I’ve seen him with Lieutenant Manila a few times recently and once, down at the pool, she was having difficulty keeping her hands off him. Let’s face it: no man’s ever going to refuse a lady what she so obviously wants.”

“Manila? That bouncy brunette from B-shift?” Ochre exhaled with envy. “No wonder he’s looking tired.”

There was a murmur of agreement from the other two and then Ochre continued, “So, if Blue’s humping Manila and Magenta’s making a move on Destiny, does that mean it’s now open season for the rest of us?”

Grey shrugged. “The regulations seem to have gone by the board as far as that’s concerned, but I wouldn’t make too much of a show about it,” he warned. “The colonel’s not likely to look too kindly on any of us if Cloudbase is suddenly awash with love-struck, hormonal women – or men. Besides, I don’t know about you two, but Blue obviously has a post-Spectrum career lined up already, just in case this doesn’t work.”

“You know I don’t,” Ochre replied, rather indignantly. “I have to make a go of this.”

To ensure Richard Fraser could operate effectively as a Spectrum agent the colonel had orchestrated a fake assassination and some plastic surgery to make him unrecognisable to his former colleagues. This had effectively cut him off from his former life as a Commander in the World Government Police Corps and from his family and friends.

“Be hard for me to pick up where I left off too,” Magenta admitted. He’d made a personal fortune from his years as a career criminal, but even that wouldn’t be enough to protect him from prosecution by the authorities, or retribution from his former colleagues, if he lost the anonymity of Spectrum. “Still, surely a little pleasant flirtation can’t hurt, can it?”

“Forget that,” Ochre snapped, “I wanna get laid!”

His companions laughed at his vehemence and he good-naturedly admitted that he knew he had to behave appropriately or risk the colonel’s wrath.

“Still, I’m nothing if not optimistic,” he concluded, with a grin. “Now, who’s gonna help me move the Angel jet - very carefully?”

***

Captain Scarlet found nothing suspect at the Windsor dam, which he considered suspicious in itself. Agent 652 had reported that he’d spoken to the control staff, and the senior officer agreed that the Spectrum Agent had done so, but he was also adamant that he’d reassured 652 that everything was under control, that the security protocols in place were adequate, and the risk of flooding in Ladysmith was negligible. The controller had willingly shown the young officer the record of the security sweeps undertaken as a matter of routine and pointed out that they had been increased in frequency since 652’s warning. Then he allowed Scarlet full access to the site so that he could check for signs of sabotage.

Back at the SPV after a long and fruitless search, Scarlet contacted Black.

“The security here is more than adequate and no one can understand 652’s warning. They know about Zondi, but they don’t see it as a problem,” he reported. “Apparently, the NFB approve of the dams and’ve never been seen as posing any kind of threat to them.”

“It’s the same here,” Black said. “You know, Scarlet, I’m beginning to wonder if we aren’t the subject of a practical joke.”

“Yeah and it’s a rib-tickler, all right. I’m coming back. Report to Cloudbase and see what they want us to do next. Personally, I think we should have a quiet word with Agent 652 before we go back.”

Colonel White agreed with him and so they drove to Agent 652’s address, a single-storey building at the end of a row of neat anonymous suburban dwellings in Ladysmith. The street was deserted when they drew up; presumably the local residents were still following their daily routines without a care in the world.

The officers walked up the short path to the front door. The shutters on the windows were closed and there was no sign of life within the silent building. Scarlet knocked on the door, but there was no answer, so he took his Spectrum pass key out of his tunic pocket and opened it. The interior was dark and there was a distinct odour of putrefaction, as if the waste bins hadn’t been emptied for too long. Both men went inside with reluctance.

“I don’t think he’s been here for some considerable time,” Black said, as he walked down the short hallway and pushed open a door to what turned out to be the kitchen. The shutters were closed here as well, and there was a new, acrid smell from the rancid milk and cheese laid out beside a small plate on a plain wooden table.

Scarlet could hear a buzzing noise behind the door to his right and he opened the door with some caution. As he did so a huge swarm of flies rose into the air and a strong smell of decay assaulted his nose. He gagged. “I don’t think he ever left,” he managed to say, before he raced to the front door and threw up in the small, untidy garden.

Black came out almost immediately afterwards; he too was pale and swallowing compulsively. They both rested against the wall for a moment, gulping in the clean air.

“How long do you imagine he’s been dead?” Black said, after a while.

“Days, at least, to judge by the smell and the flies. I don’t know why it surprises me how much blood a body holds, but it always does. Someone went to great pains to ensure he wasn’t going to be able to tell us anything.”

“Scarlet, if he’s been dead for days, he never did tell us anything. Someone other than 652 made that call to Cloudbase and sent us on a wild goose chase to the dams. What I want to know is: why?” He activated his cap microphone and called the Control Room.

Colonel White considered Black’s report and then instructed Lieutenant Green to contact Spectrum’s South African HQ and check for anything that might explain the strange turn of events or indicate if – and where – a potential threat might arise.

“What do you want us to do, sir?” Black asked.

“Stay where you are, in Ladysmith. You must alert the local police to the murder, and be of any assistance you can, naturally. Although it is highly likely that 652’s cover has been completely blown, you must always bear in mind Spectrum’s code of secrecy means that we can’t reveal everything about the man.”

“We don’t know anything about him,” Scarlet interjected.

“All the relevant details will be forwarded to the SPV’s computer database, Captain,” Colonel White replied. “I am sure you will have time to familiarise yourselves with the basics before the police arrive and question you.”

Scarlet rolled his eyes at Black at this subtle criticism. “S.I.G., Colonel.”

“Once the police have finished with you, I want you to go to the ground base HQ and order the commander to conduct a thorough code-red security check on all our local agents. Then, if you consider it necessary, you have the authority to instigate a complete make-over with one of the associated bases. If the NFB are active in the area and have infiltrated the base, I think this needs to be done face-to-face rather than over – what may be – compromised communication wavelengths. Check it out, Captains: we can’t risk leaving exposed agents in post: their lives could be at risk.”

Lieutenant Green had downloaded the basic personal details for Agent 652 into the SPV’s computer’s databank before the colonel closed his call to his field agents. He updated the audit trail, recording that Captain Black had contacted the local police and the name of the investigating police officer, before marking the file ‘Deceased’ and informing personnel and payroll of the situation. He diarised a reminder to check that the former agent’s pay, pension and death in service benefits had been dealt with and paid out to the elected beneficiaries in accordance with the man’s testamentary declaration. Then he moved the file to the pending archive queue.

It was as he turned to the next item on his ‘to do list’ that Captain Magenta’s voice came over the internal tannoy, in a state of alarm.

“Colonel, sir; I’m monitoring the Global News Network and they’re reporting an enormous explosion at the largest oil refinery in South Africa. It’s in Durban, sir, close to where Black and Scarlet went.”

Lieutenant Green quickly dismissed the possibility that what the colonel said in reaction to this news actually was “Oh shit…” and concluded that his hearing was playing tricks on him.

***

The Angels were immediately on their way to Durban. Flying in formation the three supersonic jets soared above the commercial flight paths following a direct line from Cloudbase.

In the Control Room Lieutenant Green successfully intercepted the radio traffic between the South African military and the World Army Air Force. They were arguing over who should enforce the ‘no-fly zone’ the World Government had declared.

Colonel White listened for a minute or two and then interrupted the debate, bluntly informing the military top brass that it was Spectrum’s responsibility to enforce the zone and his Angel Squadron would challenge even WAAF jets foolhardy enough to breach the ban. At a brusque nod from his commanding officer, Green cut the link before the startled commanders could respond with more than surprised bluster.

Captain Grey and Captain Ochre were also on their way to Durban to lead the ground force investigations into the bombing, which the NFB had duly claimed responsibility for. Black and Scarlet were speeding their way from Ladysmith to assist. On Cloudbase, Magenta and Blue, who were officially off-duty, were helping co-ordinate the mission and collating data for the Field Officers. Colonel White updated the World President on the situation and reassured him, with an assurance he hoped was well-founded, that Spectrum was in command of the situation

***

Over the next five days there was a non-stop effort to identify and arrest the terrorists. With the help of their ground agents and the police forensic department, the Spectrum officers inexorably closed in on the suspects, finally cornering them in a house across the city from the oil terminal. They evacuated the neighbourhood and prepared to starve their quarry out.

After a further three days of stalemate, during which the local authorities worried that the terrorists would put more civilian lives at risk by seeking to evade capture through a diversionary attack and the World President made it clear that he expected results, it was agreed that Spectrum would storm the property. Even though there was a risk of further casualties Colonel White concluded that there was no viable alternative.

Under cover of a frontal attack led by Black and Ochre, Captain Scarlet and Captain Grey, the officers with the most military experience, entered the property through the back and during an intense gun battle, subdued the three suspects and took them into custody. The whole thing was over in a matter of minutes but, most importantly, no one was killed.

On Cloudbase, Colonel White gave a satisfied sigh of relief and informed the World President that the siege was over without further bloodshed. Bandranaik’s congratulations acknowledged the bravery and efficiency of Spectrum’s officers and commended the Commander–in-Chief for the success of the mission.

After relaying the President’s words to his field officers, White added his personal satisfaction at the recognition that they had morphed into a proficient team and achieved a notable success: they had remained focused, supportive and efficient, reminding the World Government of just why they’d funded a supra-national security service. He thanked them, gruffly, and dismissed them to a well-earned spell of leisure-time.

He would have been gratified to learn that his approval meant a good deal more to his officers than the World President’s.

The mission was a publicity triumph and the World President announced within days that he would be asking the next session of the World Senate to ratify Spectrum’s Charter, in order to ensure that ‘this valuable and vital safeguard to world peace and security’ was free from the prospect of being disbanded on any future political whim.

Colonel White considered – justifiably - that it was with this mission that Spectrum had come of age and spectacularly arrived on the world scene.

 

Chapter Three: Winter 2066

The success of the Ladysmith mission created elation on Cloudbase, although it was soon obvious that even following such a major success, Spectrum could not relax its guard. The Cloudbase officers, expecting to be tasked with eradicating the rump of the NFB organisation, were nonplussed when they were told that the work would be carried out by local officers of the World Police Corps, in conjunction with Spectrum’s ground forces. The colonel explained in a general way that as a rapid-response force Spectrum – and especially Cloudbase officers - could not become caught up in long-term security operations.

The publicity surrounding the mission had stirred up terrorist organisations across the troubled regions of the globe, and the elite squadron of field officers was soon hard-pressed to deal effectively with numerous uprisings and attacks.

In October the latest of the Angel pilots arrived on Cloudbase, providing Ochre with an excuse to organise a social gathering amongst the officers – not that he needed one as a rule. Rhapsody Angel was a slender red-head, with large, clear blue eyes and a sweet face. The fact that she was younger than all of the elite officers, including Lieutenant Green, generated an almost universal feeling of protectiveness towards her, and the discovery that she was from an aristocratic English family and spoke with a cut-class accent fascinated the somewhat overawed American officers.

However, such was the pace of the missions Spectrum had to undertake that it was not long before she was able to disabuse them of their first impressions of her fragility by displaying excellent flying skills and ruthless determination to succeed in her part of the missions. Consequently, it wasn’t long before she was considered as ‘one of us’ by all of the elite officers.

The approach of Christmas made most of the Cloudbase officers hope the pace of work would slow. Requests for leave piled up on the colonel’s desk and discussions about the most practical way to ensure Spectrum remained functional throughout the holiday period were common. Harmony Angel volunteered to do more duty periods than usual, with the quid pro quo that she was free for the Chinese New Year celebrations later in the year. This provided some room for manoeuvre in the Angel squadron rota and as the most recent arrival Rhapsody conceded it was only fair Destiny and Melody had the opportunity to see their families. To everyone’s surprise, Captain Blue volunteered to make up the minimal number needed to keep the Angel squadron functioning.

“Don’t you want to go home for Christmas?” Rhapsody asked him, one mid-November evening, as they were drinking coffee alone in the Amber Room.

“We drew lots for Thanksgiving,” he explained, “and I won. I’m going home next week, so the guys remaining here then will get Christmas leave. Seems only fair.”

“What about Lieutenants Orange and Amethyst? Are they going home?”

Blue shook his head. “Orange doesn’t celebrate Christmas and Amethyst is Greek Orthodox; I think they celebrate their Christmas later than we do. So between you, Harmony, the lieutenants and me, all the shifts can be covered.”

“Are you sure you can squeeze into one of the Angel cockpits?”

Blue grinned. “They haven’t made a plane I can’t fly – yet. I’m extremely flexible...”

“Never mind flexible; you might need to be a contortionist,” she warned him playfully. “Four hours is a long time to be squashed up.”

“You let me worry about that.”

“Oh, I intend to. I don’t want to do more stints in Angel One than I have to.” She sipped her coffee. “I’ll be glad when the new Angel arrives after Christmas – but we could do with her now.”

Blue looked surprised. “Haven’t you heard? The colonel announced at the briefing this morning that she didn’t make the final grade. They’re expediting the recruitment and training of a new candidate but she won’t be here until May, at the earliest.”

Rhapsody’s expression revealed her dismay at this news. “Really? Oh, that’s disappointing. I know the lieutenants are keen to get into their permanent roles and, frankly, I think the girls are almost as keen to get our all-women squadron up and running. The Angels are the only squadron not yet fully operational.”

“Sure, but the squadron must be as good as it can be which won’t happen if there’s someone who can’t pull their weight,” Blue remarked. “Once everyone is in post, you’ll all need to be at the top of your game, all the time, just like the elite field officers. Take it from me, it’s no sinecure.”

“I know everyone has been working flat out since Ladysmith,” she replied. “You must all be exhausted.”

 “Yeah; I’m looking forward to duty in Angel One and, it goes without saying, to the hours of standby duty. They say that a change is as good as a rest and I’m sure the company will be fascinating.”

“We do try to make all the officers seconded to the squadron feel at home. I play a mean game of chess and Melody’s a dab hand at poker – she says she learnt it from her brothers and now she beats them all – so beware! You’ll never be bored or want for company, that’s for sure.”

“That’s something to look forward to.” He smiled at her. “Mind you, I’m relieved I won’t have to do extra paperwork to cover the absentee officers. I thought the colonel might’ve expected it.”

Rhapsody chuckled and laid a slim hand on his arm. “You do know that we have to write reports every time we go on patrol? You’ll have to do the same.”

He nodded and covered her hand with his. “I know there’s no escape from bureaucracy.”

She blushed prettily as his grey-blue eyes met hers, and dropped her gaze. She sensed him moving closer and parted her lips in anticipation of a kiss, but just then the door opened and she quickly removed her hand with a shy smile as Destiny walked in with Captain Magenta at her side.

“Have you heard the news?” Magenta demanded of his colleagues.

“No, not recently: I’m off duty,” Blue replied pointedly.

“The World President was supposed to address a meeting of World Senators but he’s cancelled at the last minute. The Global News Network’s playing it down, but last time I saw him on TV he didn’t look well.”

“Even Presidents have their off-days. Maybe Bandranaik’s had his fill of talking to senators who do nothing but bicker,” said Blue.

“Yes, but I agree with Captain Magenta: it’s not like him to miss a meeting,” Rhapsody said and went on to explain, “My father’s a diplomat for the World Government and knows him quite well. I’ve met Nikita Bandranaik several times myself.”

“If there’s anything wrong the colonel will let us know, I guess,” Magenta said, “but as Rhapsody said, it isn’t like him to call off without good reason.”

Blue sighed and, realising he wasn’t going to get the chance to spend any more time alone with Rhapsody, he finished his coffee and stood up. “Let’s worry about it when we know what we’re worrying about, shall we? I’m going to get something to eat. Would you like to come?” he asked her.

“I wish I could, but I’m on duty in fifteen minutes.”

He looked at his watch in surprise. “Jeez, is that the time? Sure flies when you’re having fun.” He smiled at her and she grinned back. “Later, then?”

“Of course. Goodbye, Captain.”

“I’ll come,” Magenta volunteered. “I need to eat before I go on duty,”

Destiny watched the Americans leave the room and glanced at her colleague.

“You plan to enjoy your Christmas-time with our Blue Angel, I think, Rhapsody.”

The Englishwoman smiled at the Frenchwoman. “Oh… I do hope so. He is one seriously cute guy.” She gave a roguish wink.

They both chuckled and with a shake of her head and a knowing smile, Destiny started to prepare for her shift.

***

The World Government was thrown into barely-organised chaos by the sudden – if not entirely unexpected - death in office of World President Bandranaik. The Senate was prorogued to allow a period of official mourning and a State funeral, during which time the executive power was invested in the Vice-President. After some deliberation, it was agreed that Vice-President Younger should be confirmed as World President, partly because the existing seven-year term of office ended in two years’ time and the logistics – not to mention the cost - of holding a snap election were considerable.

Colonel White breathed a sigh of relief and renewed his request for the confirmation of Spectrum’s charter to be placed on the new administration’s agenda. For the field officers the change of president brought a fresh wave of insurrection and attacks, which left them little time for anything except work and sleep. Those on Christmas leave were recalled and Captain Blue lost the chance of flying the Angel Interceptors; his only rest coming from a spell in Sick Bay after he was injured on a mission to Libya with Captain Magenta.

Captain Scarlet and Captain Black were away from Cloudbase for almost three weeks tracking a terrorist cell in Chechnya, while Ochre and Grey spent ten days leading patrols on the Bereznian borders in expectation of incursions into World Government territory. The Angels patrolled the skies, while Captain Brown provided detailed analysis of their aerial reconnaissance footage to both away teams. Captain Indigo, who lacked the necessary field experience for active service, held everything together on Cloudbase whilst his colleagues were busy.

The World Senate watched Spectrum’s activities closely, weighing their effectiveness against the considerable cost of funding the organisation. World President Younger spent long hours in conference with Senators from the small, but geographically important, European border states who felt threatened by the bellicose Bereznians, reassuring them that Spectrum was capable of defending their political integrity.

The Supreme Commander Earth Forces directed the military under his control to focus their attention on other – equally important – matters, providing back-up only when Colonel White requested it. Such was Howard Wright’s personal standing with senators and military commanders alike that, however grudgingly, the traditional forces did not meddle in Spectrum’s field operations. Slowly, as a consequence of several successful missions, the pendulum of public opinion swung behind Spectrum and it became apparent that the new supra-security force was here to stay.

The arrival of the new Angel pilot in June relieved some of the pressure on the elite squadrons, as the secondment of Lieutenants Orange and Amethyst to the Angels ended and they returned to their permanent units. Yet everyone was disheartened to hear the colonel announce that, despite Spectrum’s high and positive profile, for the foreseeable future the Angel squadron would consist of only five pilots: Destiny, Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody and the newly-arrived Symphony. On the positive side, despite the fact that continuing political unrest in Central America meant that the Caribbean was perhaps not the best place to hold a major ceremony, the new World President had prioritised the authentication of Spectrum’s Charter with a formal occasion in Futura.

President Younger’s political acumen told him that there was still a need to mollify and reassure the factions who opposed Spectrum, by being ‘open and transparent’ about the founding charter that detailed the parameters of the organisation’s authority. Several senior military figures in the conventional forces were still arguing forcibly that Spectrum was an erosion of their authority, and an unnecessary cost, at a time when they were all demanding – and not getting - more investment in their own services.

In addition, since the formation of the World Government in 2045 there had been an ongoing process of rationalisation, with the creation of global forces, such as the World Space Patrol, World Navy, World Army and Air Force, culminating in the Office of a Supreme Commander Earth Forces. Even on the security side there had been the amalgamation of the World Intelligence Network and the Universal Secret Service. In the eyes of several prominent politicians Spectrum bucked the trend; but Younger had been convinced by Nikita Bandranaik that there was a need for a supra-national organisation, devoted to the war against the terrorism that had dogged progress towards effective global integration for almost a century.

Bandranaik had always intended Spectrum to be an organisation with both an undercover intelligence-gathering arm and a rapid reaction military capability. The charter would ensure that the legacy of the first World President would survive, and Younger felt that he owed it to the memory of the man who had done so much to ensure the World Government was a viable and effective organisation, to complete his project.

The field officers looked forward to the event with enthusiasm as a break from their busy schedules and chance to relax.

“So, who’s going to get to go?” Captain Magenta asked. “A fancy bash in Futura should be a hoot.”

“The colonel hasn’t decided how to play it,” Captain Black reported. He’d just returned from the daily briefing and was cascading the news to his colleagues. “Younger’s putting the pressure on for a full turnout in dress uniform, but I’m not sure the colonel’s happy with that idea.”

“I should hope not,” Ochre said vehemently. “We’re supposed to be a secret organisation, so lining us up like colourful nine-pins for the global TV networks doesn’t strike me as very secretive.”

“Perhaps they’ll employ body-doubles?” Captain Indigo remarked, to general derision from his colleagues. He continued, “Although, speaking personally, I’d kinda like to have my feet on solid ground again.”

“Never mind, Indy,” Ochre said, with a grin at his companion. “Maybe you’ll get that posting to Spectrum Intelligence. Peaceful days playing nursemaid to the boffins…what could be more… boring?”

Indigo smiled. “Spectrum’s a broad church, Ochre. We’re all good at something. I was in forensics, not security; my forte is in the detail. Something you should appreciate as a model-maker.”

“Oh I do; I just know I’d hate it, that’s all.”

“Captain Ochre: Man of Action,” Magenta exclaimed portentously. There was a ripple of laughter, including from Ochre himself.

“So, whoever goes, the charter gets signed in Futura in the glare of TV lights?” Blue asked. “It’s the sure way to make sure that every terrorist in the world is aware that we’re out to get them. I can see the appeal of that.”

“Just as long as they don’t line up to take pot-shots at us,” said Scarlet. “All those big wigs and VIPs, as well as the entire elite corps of the anti-terrorist brigade, might seem like a tempting target. One little ‘kaboom!’ and it’s bye-bye World Government.”

“Who’ll be doing the security,” Magenta asked, “if we’re playing guard of honour to the WP and his pals?”

“Good question, to which I don’t think – as yet – there’s an answer,” Black replied. “Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting bulletin, guys…”

***

Captain Scarlet was amused to see all of the colour-code officers duly waiting in the Officers’ Lounge when he came back from the daily briefing the next day. He correctly assumed that the event in Futura was the draw and toyed with the idea of leaving that news until last, but he didn’t get the chance.

“What’s happening about Futura?” Ochre asked, almost before Scarlet had chance to get a cup of tea and sit down.

“Well, the colonel’s going, and so is his wife,” Scarlet said.

“His wife? For real?” Magenta looked surprised. “I thought Spectrum was a security force and yet he gets to take his wife to the investiture?”

“From what I understood, she will be there as part of his cover for attending. After all, his appointment as our commander-in-chief is also supposed to be secret. Lady Gray is his... camouflage, or so I assume.”

“But we’re all going?” Ochre asked. Scarlet nodded. “Do we all get a plus-one?”

Scarlet smiled. “No, just the colonel. Rank has its privileges.”

“Oh well, I suppose you might still get a chance to pick up some sprauncy dames, Ochre” Black said genially.

Scarlet shook his head. “Only if they’re looking for a bit of rough. Sorry, guys; but we’re all going as security.”

“What?” Ochre looked bewildered and sighed. “Come on, Scarlet, stop mucking us about.”

“It’ll be like Indy predicted: body-doubles, on parade as Spectrum Officers wearing our uniforms, so that everyone can recognise us when we’re on patrol and so forth, but we – the real officers - will be scattered amongst the great and the good as guests, waiters, gofers and the like.”

“I better be a guest,” Ochre said quickly, adding in response to the howls of protest: “I’d be sure to spill anything I had to deliver to a table. You don’t want irate VIPs covered in haute cuisine or champagne cocktails, do you? That wouldn’t do Spectrum’s reputation any good.”

“They won’t know we’re the real Spectrum officers, you numpty. We’ll be the hired help as far as they know.”

“I have a tux,” Blue remarked casually.

“Shoe-in for a wine waiter then,” Scarlet retorted jauntily. Blue grimaced.

“Jeez, I think it’s a bit much to ask us to cater at our own shindig,” Indigo said. “Body doubles I can accept, but I thought we’d get to party.”

“This is a security organisation, not a singles’ club,” Scarlet replied, in a good imitation of the colonel at his most pompous. “Forget it, I’ve had that conversation with the Boss and he’s having none of it.”

“Huh, he’s going to be okay wining and dining with the hoi-polloi, along with Mrs Colonel,” Magenta remarked.

“Maybe we’ll get some chance for a little R&R before or after?” Ochre suggested hopefully.

Scarlet shook his head. “Before we’ll be getting the place ready and after we’ll be heading straight back to Cloudbase, in case there’s any trouble to deal with.”

“That killed that dream stone-dead,” Ochre muttered with a sigh. “I reckon Spectrum’s going to be one long disappointment on the leisure front. I haven’t had a chance to really let my hair down since we got recruited. Unlike the blond-bombshell here.” He nodded towards Captain Blue.

“What can I say? I’m just irresistible to a certain kind of woman, I guess…” Blue replied affably, adding as if in clarification, “The kind that’re breathing.”

Scarlet snorted. “Carry on believing that and you’ll never get your radio-cap back on, Blondie…”

“Yeah; because I’ll have rammed it where the sun don’t shine, for a start,” Ochre growled.

Oooh, now I’m really scared!” Blue mocked. “Don’t blame me if the itch is that bad, Rick. Go find yourself a friend; there are several hundred available women on the base – one of them might take pity on you.”

“Can it, you two.” As the senior captain amongst them Black spoke with authority. He knew Blue and Ochre were friends and that their banter was generally amicable, but sometimes it got a little too near the knuckle. “What else did the colonel say, Scarlet?”

Grinning, Scarlet finished delivering the daily orders and gradually the group dispersed to carry them out.

 

Chapter Four: 07 July 2067

Colonel White left Cloudbase in plenty of time to meet his wife at Futura Airport. Their invitation from the World President was addressed to Sir Charles and Lady Gray and, as a former British Admiral who had played a significant part in the United Kingdom’s entry into the World Government following the Second Civil War, there was nothing unusual in his being invited to this kind of event.

Charles Gray had risen from a suburban upbringing in south London, through a scholarship to Kings’ College, Canterbury, to the imposing Military College in Norfolk, founded by the Military Government to train its officers. Enlisting in the British Navy he had served on submarines and destroyers, seeing action in South East Asia in 2040, the Icelandic dispute of 2042, and the Panama-Isthmus rebellion of 2042-43, to become one of the youngest captains in the navy.

However, he was not an enthusiastic supporter of the Military Regime and in 2046 he had thrown his weight behind the Monarchist Forces during the brief Second British Civil War. Luckily for him, the rebels had defeated the regime and he had found himself a hero. Buoyed up by the general atmosphere of optimism for a brighter future, he had married his long-term sweetheart and, for the next few years, he had experienced true happiness and contentment. This had been brutally shattered by the sudden, unexpected death of his wife, after which he had devoted himself to his career, seeking to give his life some meaning through hard work. His work had become as much diplomatic as naval and, as the new Admiral of the Fleet, he had been instrumental in negotiating terms for the admission of the newly restored United Kingdom to the ranks of the World Government’s member states.

He had found it hard to adjust to his new status as a diplomat rather than a serving naval officer, but things had become easier once he had made the acquaintance of the widow of an American World Government career diplomat. Several years older than him, Olivia Jarvis had returned to England after her husband had died, and they had met at the country house of a mutual acquaintance. Their unlikely friendship had blossomed over the months that Olivia advised him, accompanying him to formal events and smoothing his way through the tangles of arcane diplomatic conventions. From this easy friendship had developed a mutual affection and since he’d asked her to marry him, he’d never had cause to regret her acceptance.

There was no real way he could be satisfied with a career that relegated him to the touchlines of active service and, after discussing it with his new wife, he had gladly accepted a post in the Universal Secret Service. Thereafter, his career and his subsequent posting to Spectrum, had meant he’d spent considerable periods away from home, but Olivia had never complained and he was sure of a warm – if not passionate – welcome whenever he returned to the immaculate, comfortable home she’d created in Surrey. That she managed to do it all on nothing but his salary filled him with grateful admiration.

Lady Gray knew every detail of her husband’s career, including his recruitment as the commander-in-chief for Spectrum. She’d even met most of Spectrum’s colour-coded officers, albeit briefly, at their swearing in ceremony, so the smiles she gave the doorman, master of ceremonies and Maître d’ of the World Government’s Futura headquarters were tinged with recognition.

In the elegant reception room of the World Senate building she accepted a glass of champagne from the vaguely familiar figure of a tall, blond-haired wine waiter and gave him the merest suspicion of a wink that made him blush.

“Are they all here, Charles?” she asked her husband quietly.

He nodded. “Yes; this is a major gathering of very important people; Spectrum would have been foolish not to consider the risk and act accordingly.”

“It will be odd for them to see ‘themselves’ forming the guard of honour for the President. Who did you get to wear the uniforms?”

“Spectrum has terrestrial offices around the globe; it wasn’t too difficult to find eight men of the same approximate size as each of the captains, Livy. Although I won’t say that they’re doppelgängers for the real thing; after all, we don’t want our officers to be recognised – that’s the whole point.”

She laughed and toasted her husband with her champagne. “Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me, Charles.”

As he returned her salute the smile on his face grew rigid when he glanced over her shoulder. “Oh good grief; General Ward’s making his way towards us. I had dealings with him in the Navy. He was promoted to Commander of the Frost Defence Line last year and I’m afraid it’s gone to his head. He’ll keep me talking for hours and I really ought to speak to the Supreme Commander before the President arrives.”

“Never mind, Charles; introduce me and leave him to me while you go and find the SCEF.”

Her husband patted her arm gratefully. “What would I do without you, my dear?”

“Waste a lot of your valuable time, I expect,” Olivia Gray said, with a slight smile, and she turned to greet General Ward with every indication of pleasure.

Colonel White excused himself from the conversation after a few minutes and doubted if Ward even noticed him leaving, for by then he was deeply engrossed in conversation with Olivia. He marvelled again at his wife’s ability to make every person she spoke to believe they were the only person she’d been longing to speak to.

It was easy enough to pick out the Supreme Commander Earth Forces from amongst the crowd and purposefully White made his way towards him. The Supreme Commander, Howard Wright, was the former American army general tasked with the unenviable job of merging the various national forces of the World Government’s member states into a cohesive whole. White had known him for several years and respected him. As a member of the Security Committee he was one of the few who knew the real identity of Colonel White and he nodded a welcome as he approached.

“Good to see you, Sir Charles,” he said, extending a hand.

“And to see you, Supreme Commander.” White shook the hand firmly. They moved slightly apart from other people and continued their conversation in muted tones. “This is a significant occasion; one I had begun to doubt we’d ever see. I am glad to be wrong.”

“The World President plays his cards close to his chest, but I never doubted that he held all the aces, Colonel. Bandranaik made sure Younger knew the value he placed on Spectrum becoming an active organisation and I don’t think he did so in vain.”

“He’s certainly a wily operator. I would never have thought of this as a way to ensure Spectrum was firmly established in the minds of the Senate and the population at large.”

“Obviously, the need to ensure the anonymity of Spectrum’s senior operatives placed constraints on what could be done. This ceremony will signify that the World Senate has ratified the constitution the Attorney-General drew up for President Bandranaik, as well as providing that little publicity coup so beloved of all our Lords and Masters. The real ratification will come when you, Younger and the Lunar Controller sign the actual document on Cloudbase in three days’ time. I’m planning to be one of the witnesses to that, as I shall be to this ceremony. I hope you’ll have the time to show me the wonders of Cloudbase, Colonel?”

“It will be my particular pleasure, Supreme Commander.”

The Supreme Commander glanced at the crowded room. “I believe all eight of your elite officers are here in person?”

“Yes, undercover, of course.”

The tall, fair-haired wine waiter approached them with a tray of drinks. White nodded and with a slight bow the man came to his side, so that he could exchange his empty glass for a fresh one.

“Is everything going according to plan, Captain Blue?” the colonel asked quietly.

The American gave a broad smile. “Like a dream, sir.”

“Good. Carry on, Captain.”

“S.I.G., sir.”

The Supreme Commander chuckled. “One of yours, I presume, Charles?”

“Indeed. A former World Aeronautical Society Test Pilot and Head of their Security Division.”

“He scrubs up well too…” Lady Gray said, surprising both of the men by her sudden appearance. “Well, they all do.”

“Supreme Commander, may I present my wife, Olivia?”

“Pleased to meet you, Lady Olivia.”

“The pleasure is mine, Supreme Commander. I’ve been talking to General Ward and now feel quite an expert on the Frost Line and the problems of maintaining armaments in sub-zero temperatures.”

The Supreme Commander sighed apologetically and replied, “Jack Ward is a bit of an obsessive, I’m afraid, but a decent man and a stickler for procedure.” He glanced at Colonel White. “It’s probably the ideal job for him: highly technical and… remote.”

Lady Gray’s smile deflected her companion’s apology. “Oh, it was fascinating. I never knew there was so much to consider about where you can put a missile.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t tell him where he could put his missiles,” her husband murmured.

Lady Gray shook her head and replied: “Like most military men my husband has little patience with weaponry other than that relating to his own service, whereas I am always highly diverted by such things. However, Charles, I believe that the President is due to arrive - General Ward was extremely anxious to catch him as he arrived.”

“Oh, good grief, I’d better prevent that,” Wright muttered.

Olivia continued as if she had not heard him: “… and in a moment the charming ushers will be asking people to move into the salon. I thought I’d come and find you in case we get separated in the rush.”

The Supreme Commander drew a deep breath. “I must go and meet the President. Nice to see you, Sir Charles, Lady Olivia. I hope we get the opportunity to speak again soon.”

“What a nice man,” Olivia said, as she watched him walk away. “I didn’t like to explain about my not being ‘Lady’ Olivia. Americans can get so embarrassed if they get things like that wrong.”

“Howard Wright’s made of sterner stuff, but if it bothers you I’ll mention it quietly next time I see him.”

She nodded and explained, “It’s so silly, especially in this day and age, but there’s bound to be some busybody who will put him straight if we don’t and that’d be … unfortunate, Charles.”

Her husband nodded and offered her his arm. “Let’s make a move, Livy. I hope Captain Scarlet’s saved us decent seats. I gave strict orders.”

“Is he the good-looking, dark-haired, young Englishman?” Her husband nodded. “He reminds me of someone but I can’t place him.”

“His father is a WAAF General and I’m sure you’ve met him. Perhaps that’s it?”

“No; I’m thinking film stars… real, old-fashioned ones… It’ll come to me.”

“A matinee idol? Hmm, well, as you say, Scarlet’s a good looking chap. I suppose.” He fell silent as they approached the usher who was beckoning them to follow him.

Captain Scarlet led them towards a row of seats.

“Ah, how kind of you to have saved us some seats… with such a good view,” Olivia said, to the young man.

“My pleasure, Lady Gray. Sir Charles.”

“Don’t overdo it, Captain,” the colonel said, under his breath.

“No, sir.” Scarlet turned smartly on his heel and marched off towards the entrance and the next arrivals.

“Jealousy is a most unattractive emotion, Charles,” Olivia said, with a knowing glance at her husband as she settled down to look at the order of service.

 “Humph,” said the colonel.

 

Chapter Five: later that evening

 “Gawd, I never knew my feet could ache this much.” Captain Indigo pulled off one of the patent leather shoes he was wearing and massaged his toes.

“Makes you long for your uniform boots, doesn’t it?” Captain Brown remarked, “and I never thought I’d say that.” He yawned.

The reception had been hard work and now the World President was addressing the assembly of the great and the good in Spectrum’s inauguration ceremony, the two officers were taking a rest in the reception room.

Captain Black, acting as the Maitre d’, came over and said, “You have to clear this lot away while they’re in there. Then everyone goes over to the dining room and helps in there.”

You clear this lot away,” Indigo said, helping himself to one of the untouched champagne glasses from a nearby tray. “I’m on strike.”

“The colonel gave orders – no drinking or slacking,” Black reminded him taking the glass from him before he could drink from it. He looked across to where Captain Blue was dutifully collecting empty glasses on a large industrial-sized tray. “You can both go and give Blue a hand. We haven’t got long, Indy. Put your shoe back on and get on with it.”

“Who made you Field Commander?” Brown asked, wearily.

But both men obeyed and between them they cleared the room before the final round of applause came from the salon.

“They’ll be coming out,” Black said, staring towards the double doors. “Keep your eyes peeled as the World President will be with them. If any nutter’s going to take a pot-shot, it’ll be now.”

There was a sustained round of applause from the meeting and as it died away, the doors of the conference room were thrown open. World President Younger led the way out of the salon with the Lunar Commander and the Supreme Commander at his side and several senators representing the global power bases of the World Government immediately behind him.

Walking on either side of this group were Scarlet and Grey, with Ochre still in the salon, ensuring everyone left through the approved route. Colonel White and his wife were towards the end of the swarm of people, the colonel obviously as watchful as his officers for anything that might pose a threat to the gathering. He gave Black a nod as he walked past. Ochre ushered the last person out of the room and checked that the place was really empty, before he locked the doors and hurried towards the dining room.

The elite captains had the help of experienced waiters to help them serve the sumptuous meal, but it was still a non-stop task ensuring that the demanding guests were kept satisfied. The meal concluded with toasts and speeches from the World President, the Lunar Controller and the SCEF welcoming Spectrum to the family of World Government security organisations, all of which were dedicated to peace around the globe and the security of the Lunar colonies.

It was a salutary reminder that Spectrum’s remit granted police powers on and off-planet. For a moment Captain Black, watching from near the main doors, thought of the days when he’d piloted one of the XL Fleet of space ships around the solar system seeking suitable sites to exploit or colonise. For a while, Spectrum had seemed to him parochial in its concerns, but this reminded him that there was scope for expansion and he had every intention of being amongst the first pioneers, when that time came.

As the guests and delegates made their way out of the dining room and towards the exit, Colonel White and Lady Gray were beckoned to the top table by the Supreme Commander.

“The World President would like to speak to you before you leave, Colonel.”

“I’ll wait outside,” Olivia said. “I’m sure those young men will take good care of me while you conclude your business.”

White beckoned Captain Ochre to escort his wife and then followed the Supreme Commander into the small antechamber where the World President and Lunar Controller were waiting.

“Hello, Colonel, glad you were able to make it,” Younger said, as the older man saluted and then shook the proffered hand.

The Lunar Controller introduced himself and shook hands too. “Pleased to meet you, at last, Colonel White. I know we’ve had plenty of discussion over the videophone but nothing beats a face-to-face.”

“No, indeed, sir.”

Younger said, as he invited all three men to take a seat around the desk: “I wanted to congratulate you on Spectrum’s efficiency, Colonel; the whole ceremony has gone off extremely smoothly. The security was unobtrusive, yet I’m assured it was there and thorough.” The World President glanced at the SCEF, who nodded in confirmation. “You may now officially stand down your men and conclude the operation, Colonel. The World Army will resume responsibility for security in Futura.”

“Thank you, sir. I will convey your congratulations to my officers.”

“You heard the full text of the charter read out, I take it?”

“I did, sir. That was the Charter we agreed with the Attorney-General.”

 Younger gave a wry shake of his head. “Yes, but only just. There was another last-minute attempt by some of the senators from states bordering Bereznik to get a clause instructing Spectrum to ‘pursue and harry’ any Bereznians suspected of ‘foul play’ in a member state across the international borders. They don’t give up easily.”

“I am grateful that you quashed that, sir. Spectrum will have enough to cope with without stirring up trouble with the Bereznians.”

“Exactly my argument, Colonel. I want Spectrum to confine itself to recognised terrorist organisations and even if they are believed to be state-sponsored, the crossing of borders into non-member states is prohibited. Lord knows terrorism is bad enough, I don’t want full-blown war breaking out on my watch. Leave the politicians and diplomats to deal with that side of things.”

“I understand, sir. Although we accept that we are obliged to take the concerns and considerations of the World Senate and member states into consideration, Spectrum is responsible only to your office.” White was careful to separate the office from the individual.

Younger smiled. “I’m reassured, Colonel. Now, down to practicalities. The three parchments that were sealed today will be signed by the Lunar Controller, you and me on Cloudbase in three days. Thereafter, one copy will reside in the Lunar Colonies, one with Spectrum and one in the Global Archive, here in Futura. I trust that everything is in readiness for that ceremony?”

“It is, sir. Two of my best men, Captain Black and Captain Scarlet, will meet your convoy at the airport and transfer you aboard a Spectrum Passenger Jet to Cloudbase, which will be positioned at 40,000 feet over the North Atlantic, mid-way between the continents.”

“Excellent; I’m looking forward to it.” Younger stood and extended his hand again. “Until then, Colonel.”

“Goodbye, sir; Lunar Commander, Supreme Commander.”

Hurrying away from the meeting, White still took time to notice that his officers had ceased acting as catering staff and were waiting by the entrance where a fleet of Spectrum Patrol Cars were lined up to take them to the airport. He could see his wife holding court amongst the circle of young men and smiled. He had no doubt that even in this short time, she would have all of them wrapped around her finger and have wormed out of most of them their backgrounds, present duties and future ambitions.

His appearance dispersed the gathering and with Olivia on his arm, he was escorted to the first of the SPCs.

Captain Indigo drove Black, Scarlet, Blue and Grey in the car immediately behind the colonel’s.

“Well,” Scarlet said, his voice tinged with relief, “thank goodness that’s over.”

“For the next three days, anyway,” Black added.

“Yeah, but on Cloudbase we won’t be the ones serving drinks to the masses,” Blue said, massaging his biceps. “The muscles in my left arm are aching from carrying that tray and I think my face muscles have set in a permanent rictus from smiling like an idiot for hours. I wouldn’t have believed those VIPs could knock it back like that and not end up as drunk as a barrel full of monkeys.”

“It wasn’t that bad,” Grey replied.

“It wasn’t for you; you were just waving people to their seats. I didn’t see you carrying a single tray.”

“I got my arse pinched,” Scarlet admitted, to the universal amusement of his friends. “I turned round to deck the perp and there was this raddled old hag, dripping in diamonds and grinning like a madwoman.”

“You could’ve been okay there,” Black said. “Set up for life as some grandmother’s toy-boy.”

Scarlet shuddered. “I’d rather face any number of terrorists.”

Blue nodded. “There’s certainly an assumption that anyone in a service role isn’t quite human. I heard all sorts of scurrilous gossip while I was handing out the booze.”

“So, are you going to tell us?” Indigo asked, as he steered the car into the airport.

Blue shook his head. “I think you’re too young to know. It might warp your outlook.”

“What about your outlook?” said Grey, who, like Indigo, was more than two years older than Blue.

“Oh, that was warped decades ago. It’s beyond redemption.”

They went on board the waiting SPJ and Captain Blue went straight to the cockpit. While Colonel White walked his wife to her waiting car, Scarlet watched from the window as the colonel kissed her cheek and handed her into the back seat.

“Lady Gray is… not what you’d expect the Old Man to have married,” he remarked.

“Why not? She’s a likeable woman and I doubt even the colonel is immune to her charm,” Black replied, watching over his friend’s shoulder as the colonel raised a hand in farewell when the car drove away.

“I do like her,” Scarlet admitted. “She said I reminded her of Cary Grant.”

“Oh no; we’ll never hear the last of that,” Ochre said, rolling his eyes.

Laughing, Scarlet took his seat.

 

Everyone on Cloudbase was getting excited about the World President’s visit and the importance of it to Spectrum’s future.

“It’d be nice if they drafted a couple of lieutenants into the stand-by duties, at least. Then four of us would be able to see the ceremony, instead of just Destiny, as our representative.” Rhapsody Angel was voicing the dissatisfaction felt by the Angel squadron at the prospect of missing the excitement of the World President’s visit.

Captain Black listened and gave a sympathetic nod. “I’ll see what I can do, Rhapsody. I don’t know if the colonel will agree though. After all, he’s very proud of the fact that the Angel Squadron is exclusively female and I think he’s also wanting to draw attention to the problems the lack of a sixth Angel creates.”

She shook her head. “We’re all as proud as he is of our roles in Spectrum but it isn’t fair to use that as the reason for excluding us from important mainstream events. Surely he could highlight the need for another pilot by explaining that in order for us to meet the guests, he’s had to draft in lieutenants?”

“I’ll suggest it and do what I can.”

“I know you will, Conrad, and we’re all grateful.” She sighed. “I think someone ought to remind the colonel of the dictum about all work and no play. Never mind making Jack a dull boy, it makes every Jill in the Angels a very dull girl.”

When she’d gone, Black sat thinking about what she’d said. It wasn’t just the Angels who were feeling the strain of the punishing duty schedules they’d endured for months. Ochre and Magenta had been complaining for weeks, Captain Brown had started smoking again and Indigo was showing signs of getting increasingly fidgety. The only two officers – apart from himself who didn’t seem to be affected, were Grey, who was content enough as long as he was free to plough up and down the swimming pool when off-duty, and Blue who was still romancing Lieutenant Manila, as far as anyone knew. Although Captain Scarlet was apparently tireless and had the most missions under his belt, even he was starting to fall asleep in the Officers’ Lounge of an evening.

Rather than take his concerns to the colonel, Black strolled down to Sick Bay, where the Head of Spectrum Medical, Doctor Fawn, was a permanent fixture. The doctor’s off-duty occupation was tinkering with medical equipment with a view to improving it, so he was rarely anywhere but the Medical wards.

Fawn looked up from reading a report and welcomed Black with a slight smile. “Don’t see you here often, Captain. How can I help you?”

Black sat down by the desk and explained: “It isn’t really me who has the problem, Doctor, but there are people on the base who are going stir-crazy and I wondered if there was any way you could approach the colonel and advise him that he’s going to have to grant permission for some leave soon, or face mutiny.”

“That’s a bit alarmist, isn’t it?” Fawn remarked, closing the report. “Have you spoken to the colonel?”

“Not yet; but I will do. Look, Doctor, I’ve had plenty of experience of living for long period in confined spaces: I’ve flown XL rockets and compared to them Cloudbase is both enormous and luxurious. But for the majority of the officers, this is their first taste of living in such a restricted environment. Captain Grey’s experience of submarines is obviously valid and of all of the elite corps, he’s the least… edgy. There are some who are not coping with what they see as ‘incarceration’ well and what makes it worse is that the colonel is not granting leave when it’s requested. There’s been some muttering about that.”

Fawn nodded but said nothing.

“The thing that put the tin lid on it was the ceremonials in Futura; everyone had been looking forward to a little R&R, but we were in and out without chance to even look around the place. Basically, something’s gotta give before the cork explodes out of the bottle – if you follow my drift?”

“You’re asking me to prescribe some R&R on health grounds, Captain?”

“Yes, I am. That, and a little less spit and polish around the base where it doesn’t really matter. I know nothing can happen until after the VIP visit tomorrow, but surely, we can come down off Def Con 1 afterwards? Three officers, to my knowledge, are indulging in what can only be called clandestine fraternisation and – strictly speaking - that’s against the regulations. They could face disciplinary action if they’re reported.”

“Is anyone likely to report it?”

Black shook his head. “Not intentionally, but things get said when relationships go sour and no one can keep secrets under wraps for ever - not in a place like Cloudbase where every wall has ears and not only the night has a thousand eyes. After all, I know about it and I’m not the only one.”

Fawn smiled. “I could increase the bromide in the coffee…”

Black took it for the joke it was and smiled back. “Bit late for that, I think.”

“To be honest, Captain, I’m not entirely unaware of the problem, but if you consider it is now becoming an operational problem, I will speak to the colonel.”

“I think it could soon become a problem, Doctor.”

 Fawn nodded. “Okay. Please wait until you’ve heard from me before you say anything?”

Black nodded. “Thanks, Doc. Here’s hoping the colonel takes your advice.”

***

Cloudbase was in tip-top shape when the plane carrying the World President and the other dignitaries landed. Colonel White and his elite officers met the VIPs as they disembarked from the plane in Hangar Bay One and escorted them to the Conference Room for a reception. On the way, the colonel diverted to the Amber Room and introduced the three Angel Pilots to the guests.

In the Conference Room the colour captains were formally presented to the VIPs and those directly involved with the Durban Bombing Case were thanked and congratulated on achieving a successful outcome.

“I understand that the trial of the bombers will be starting in the next month or so,” Younger explained to Captain Grey. “In accordance with my instructions, there will be facilities made for you and the other officers to testify to the court via secure video-links, where your faces will be obscured to everyone except the judge. I’ve also heard, unofficially, that the police have obtained a great deal of intelligence about the other remaining Freedom Brigade members and that further arrests will be made shortly. A most successful conclusion and all thanks to Spectrum.”

Captain Ochre, standing next to Grey, ruefully wondered just how much of the ‘intelligence’ had been given freely, but he kept his thoughts to himself and saluted the World President and shook hands with him as he was presented.

The main part of the ceremonial took place in the largest auditorium on Cloudbase, packed with Spectrum crew, staff and officers for the occasion. The World President and the Lunar Controller made speeches, and the Supreme Commander welcomed a fully operational Spectrum to the brotherhood of security organisations. Then all of the copies of the charters were signed by the dignitaries and Colonel White.

When the applause died down, the colonel made a brief speech thanking the guests for the trust they had shown in Spectrum and vowing, on behalf of them all, that they would abide by the letter and the spirit of the Charter. As the renewed applause died away, he announced that the World President had authorised an extra day’s leave for every member of Spectrum. There was more – and very genuine - applause, although some officers wondered when they’d actually be allowed to take the leave they were already entitled to, never mind an extra day.

The colonel concluded the proceedings with the information that the restaurants and canteens were free for the next 24 hours and inviting everyone on board to celebrate Spectrum’s inauguration.

***

Having to ensure there were enough people on duty to cover emergencies put something of a dampener on the elite officers’ celebrations. To overcome this, they arranged an impromptu party in the Amber Room with the Angels. Blue and Grey sweet-talked the catering service into providing a substantial buffet and to everyone’s surprise, the colonel authorised enough real champagne for everyone to have one glass.

This was a welcome change from the strictly non–alcoholic fare they were usually permitted and it lifted the spirits of all concerned. Destiny and Magenta were dancing to lively music being provided by the base’s music centre files, while Indigo was in deep conversation with one of the medical nurses who were specifically assigned to the Angels and had been invited along. Captain Scarlet and Melody Angel were sharing confidences beside the buffet table, while Harmony was talking to Captain Ochre about model-making – at least, she was listening to Ochre talking about model-making.

Lieutenants Orange and Amethyst were there, as ‘honorary’ Angel Pilots along with Lieutenant Manila, who was responsible for the administration and provisioning of the Angel squadron, so the Amber Room was already quite crowded when Colonel White joined them.

The colonel was welcomed with smiles and a polite round of applause, which he acknowledged with a slight smile and a nod of thanks. Captain Black approached with a glass of champagne and suggested the colonel might like to address the assembly. Grey turned the music off and gradually everyone paid attention.

“I really didn’t come here to make a speech,” White began, ignoring the muttered ‘hear, hear’ from the direction of Captain Ochre, “but I would just like to add my thanks and appreciation for all of the effort and hard work you have all given to ensure Spectrum’s success. I am aware of the great responsibility and burdens our roles impose, but I am confident that the world is – and will remain - a safer place now that Spectrum is fully operational. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and I give you a toast to Spectrum and our continuing success.”

“Spectrum!”

Those who still had their champagne to drink, saluted the colonel with their raised their glass, and the babble of conversation broke out once more. Magenta turned the music back on and Scarlet and Melody joined him and Destiny on the improvised dance floor. Harmony dragged Captain Ochre into the dancing and shortly afterwards, Indigo and Nurse Marriott joined them.

“Good to see everyone enjoying themselves,” White remarked to Captain Black.

“Yes, sir. It’s been some time since they had the opportunity.”

The colonel glanced at his officer. “Yes, so I understand. Doctor Fawn has spoken to me about the need for ‘a little less spit and polish’.” He raised one eyebrow inquisitorially.

Black nodded. “I did mention it to him, sir. It’s been a hard slog these last months and people need to let their hair down and recharge their batteries.”

“I am well aware of that, Conrad. Now the Angel Squadron is up to complement and Orange and Amethyst have finished their secondment, there will be opportunities to allow leave to be taken. However, everything we do is dependent on circumstances and Spectrum must never be placed at a disadvantage because everyone’s gone to the seaside.”

“Of course, sir; that’s understood by everyone.”

“Good. Carry on, Captain.”

“S.I.G., sir.”

Colonel White left the Amber Room and Grey walked over to Black. “What was all that about?”

“A short sharp rap over the knuckles for trying to teach him his job,” Black admitted. “I should’ve known better, I suppose.”

“Oh: well, put a band aid on your pride and come and have some of the non-alcoholic punch Brown’s created. It’s not bad, if you ignore the taste…”

***

When Rhapsody and Symphony Angels returned from escorting the VIPs’ jet back to Futura they were relieved of duty by Melody and Harmony and joined the party. Since Symphony had only arrived on Cloudbase in June, she was still something of an unknown quantity, and a few of the captains had not even met her.

Rhapsody took charge of the introductions and after speaking to Black and Grey, she homed in on Captain Blue, who was at the buffet with Lieutenant Manila.

“Hello, handsome,” Rhapsody said, smiling up at Blue. “I’d like you to meet our latest Angel. Symphony, this is Captain Blue, who reckons he can fly any plane in existence and was to have been our ‘Christmas Angel’, except that circumstances beyond our control prevented it. Lieutenant Manila, you already know, of course.”

Symphony’s tawny, green-flecked eyes travelled from Blue’s feet to his face as she extended her hand. “Pleased to meet you, Captain.”

Blue put down his plate and shook her hand, pointedly giving her the same once over. She smiled.

“Welcome to Cloudbase, Symphony Angel. You certainly got what I’d call a baptism of fire.”

“Really? I’d call it doing my job, Captain, although I don’t deny I’m looking forward to some downtime.” Realising they were still holding hands, she withdrew hers and smiled at Manila. “Is this what you do for a little R&R ‘round here?”

“Not really,” Manila replied a little sourly. “This is an event. We live quiet lives, as a rule.”

“Speak for yourself, Manila,” Rhapsody interjected. “I’m sure I want my off-duty spells to be as exciting as possible.” She turned to Blue. “I haven’t forgotten that you offered to take me to dinner before Christmas, Captain.”

“Neither have I,” he replied, smiling down at her. “Any time you can spare the time, I can make the time.”

She laughed gaily. “I’ll consult the rota and let you know. However, Blue, I should warn you that I am very high maintenance.”

“I don’t doubt it. All of the Angels are… exceptional ladies.” He glanced at Symphony who had given a sceptical snort and raised her eyebrows.

Ladies? I’m no lady, Captain. I’m a pilot and don’t you forget it.”

“I’m unlikely to,” he replied.

“I want to dance,” Rhapsody announced suddenly. “Come on, Blue, it’s your moral duty to make this party a good one.”

He offered her his hand and led her out on to the crowded floor. Manila watched with a frown on her face. Noticing her expression, Symphony asked:

“Are those two ‘an item’?”

“No,” Manila said sharply. “That is, not to my knowledge. Captain Blue is a very popular guy – with everyone.”

“They all seem like a great bunch of guys,” Symphony remarked, helping herself to some southern fried chicken from the buffet. “Only being the late arrival I don’t wanna step outa line and break-up any promising friendships. If you take my meaning.”

“Yes. Yes, I do. Umm, I think Destiny and Magenta have dated a couple of times and Ochre is always asking all of them to go to the movies with him. He made models of the Angel jets for them all at Christmas, so he’s a great favourite.”

“Yeah, I saw one of those in Rhapsody’s quarters. They’re very good. I wonder if he’d make me one.”

“I don’t know,” Manila muttered, focused on watching Blue and Rhapsody on the dancefloor.

“Won’t ever know if I don’t ask,” Symphony reasoned. She followed Manila’s stare and gave a wry smile of sympathy for the obviously jealous young woman beside her. Still, she thought, it’s none of my business

“I’ll mosey over and chat Ochre up. See ya.” She put her plate down, wiped her fingers on a paper napkin and walked purposefully towards Ochre, who was sitting talking to Captain Brown.

***

Worried by the unexpected and unwelcome familiarity between Blue and Rhapsody, Manila took the first opportunity to make her way to Blue’s quarters. He seemed surprised, but pleased, to see her and it was not long before they acknowledged their mutual need and moved to the sleeping area. She gave herself freely to him finding his acceptance of her compliance to his wishes reassuring. Before long she had forgotten her suspicions in the thrall of their lovemaking and nothing mattered so much as achieving the satisfaction she craved.

“Whoa, that was some ride,” Blue gasped, as he rolled onto his back and stared with an unfocused gaze at the ceiling. His heart was pounding and he closed his eyes the better to experience the wave of exhilaration that was washing over him. He lost himself in the maelstrom and, as sensation ebbed away, he was sinking contentedly into a satiated slumber when the woman next to him slid her hand into his and squeezed. It was a physical shock and he woke with a jolt. Fighting off his resentment at this unwanted intrusion into his privacy and the urge to turn his back on her, he squeezed back before moving his hand away.

Lieutenant Manila smiled. Although her relationship with Captain Blue was undoubtedly a physical one, based initially on purely animal passions and spiced with the knowledge that they shouldn’t be indulging in bouts of energetic sex at all, he was, sometimes, capable of moments of unexpected tenderness.

She recalled the Christmas present her had bought her: nothing too extravagant and certainly something he expected to get as much enjoyment from as she, but it was the thought that counted. She pictured him blushing as he nervously described her to the shop assistant in the lingerie section of an exclusive department store, in order for her to estimate the right size, and her affection for him grew. She interpreted it as a sign that he now considered her as more than just an enthusiastic and willing partner and rejoiced, knowing for certain that she had fallen in love with him.

As it happened, she was wrong on both counts: very little made Blue blush – and with two older sisters he was way beyond blushing at lingerie – moreover, he did not consider her at all. She was attractive and she was available, that was enough for him.

They lay side by side, although unknowingly they were a world apart, until the small alarm clock on the bedside shelf gave a discreet bleep.

“Damn, I have to go,” Blue said, sitting up and running a hand through his fair hair. “I need to shower.”

Manila knew that was her cue to leave, but she was still in a dreaming world where he cared for her and with a teasing smile she asked, “Shall I come and scrub your back for you, honey?”

“Are you mental, Lieutenant? I’m on duty in 30 minutes. I don’t have time for that now.”

He looked down at her and saw, with a familiar sinking feeling, the look of embarrassed disillusionment on her face. He recognised that look and its significance and allowed himself a moment of regret: it had been fun while it lasted and for the briefest of moments he felt guilty at having taken her to bed when – as far as he was concerned – their affair was a thing of the past. Yet his remorse did not last; he reminded himself of her eagerness and the way she had almost torn his clothes from his body and considered that she’d got what she wanted. He stalked into the bathroom and started the shower, staying there until he heard the door close behind her.

 

 

Chapter Six: 10 July 2067

“I’m going to put in for some leave right away,” Magenta told his companions in the Officers’ Lounge.

“I think I’ll do the same,” Grey said, “I could do with a break before we have to testify in the South African trial.”

Captain Brown looked up from his magazine. “We can’t all go on leave at the same time.”

Black nodded. “Now that the Charter’s been signed I think the colonel’ll be more amenable to people taking leave and maybe things will even loosen up a bit, regulation-wise. So there’s no need for us all to rush and ask for time off immediately.”

“I hope so,” Ochre remarked, somewhat absently. He was carefully applying a second coat of varnish to the model he was making and, therefore, ignored the noise of the door sliding open and the scrape of chairs as people got to their feet.

“Don’t get up, Captain.” Colonel White’s voice came as something of a shock and Ochre looked up guiltily. The colonel’s expression seemed genial enough. “I can see that you’re busy and I expect it’s a critical moment?”

“It is rather, sir. Sorry, sir.”

“Just listen then.” Colonel White waved the other officers to their seats and moved to a seat of his own, where he could see and be seen by them all. “I wanted to come and thank you all for making the World President’s recent visit a success. The President is most impressed and I am sure he will make the Security Council aware of that. The outcome is that Spectrum’s future is now more secure than it has been and we can start to plan positively for the future.”

“That’s good news, sir,” Grey said.

“It is indeed, especially as we’ve already been asked to undertake a commission for the Lunar Controller. I understand that equipment on the lunar surface has picked up a faint but seemingly regular signal coming from an unexplored area on Mars. Spectrum has been commissioned to identify the source of those signals. Captain Magenta, I want you and Lieutenant Green to work on pinpointing the source and amplifying the signals so we can interpret them. The Lunar Colonies are planning to set up a small outpost on Mars to prospect for minerals and we must be sure that there is no threat posed by whatever is making or causing these signals.” He turned to Captain Black. “I’m thinking your expertise will be invaluable here, Captain, so please liaise closely with Magenta and Green.”

“Of course, Colonel.”

“There will be a new, global anti-terrorist initiative starting in the next few weeks that will involve all of you, in addition to the normal duties you’ve been undertaking. So, I want us to think about how we can accommodate the new mission with your present projects. As part of this new initiative, you, Captain Indigo, will be transferring to Spectrum Intelligence from the end of the week to work with them on important research and development projects.”

“Thank you, sir!” Indigo exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear.

The colonel nodded a wry acknowledgment of this enthusiastic response and continued:

“Gentlemen, we’ll begin in earnest next week, when you will receive detailed information around the initiative as a whole and the specific projects each of you will be involved with. Before then, as many of you as wish to take leave should let me have your requests tomorrow. We must keep Cloudbase fully manned at all times, but I will try to accommodate as many requests as possible. I wish you all a pleasant evening and a good night.”

He stood and so did his officers, muttering their thanks and goodbyes. A babble of excited chatter broke out as the door closed behind the colonel.

“Looks like things are finally starting to happen,” Scarlet said with enthusiasm. “About time too.”

“The Martian project sounds promising. Green and I will have plenty of work developing systems able to get clear signals from there.”

“I can let you have a lot of data about the red planet, Magenta.”

“It sounds as if a lot of the work will be off-base a good deal too.”

Scarlet exclaimed, “I can’t help thinking we’re about to start a new and exciting phase for Spectrum. Taking a pro-active stance against terrorism and preventing acts of aggression against the World Government – why – there’s even a prospect of space travel for you, Con!”

Black couldn’t help agreeing that there did seem to be something of that nature in the offing, but he wasn’t going to dwell on it. Much better to concentrate on what the colonel’s new initiative had to offer. “No one mentioned an actual mission to Mars, Paul.”

“Yes, but the prospect is there, you heard the colonel. The world and everything beyond it is our oyster! This is the real beginning for Spectrum!”

The colonel was as good as his word and managed to accommodate most of the officers’ requests for leave. In this he was aided by the fact that Captain Black did not apply for permission to leave the base. An orphan without living relatives who, due to his posting in the World Space Patrol, had no close non-service friends to speak of, Black had expressed a preference to spend his allotted off-duty time on Cloudbase. Although Captain Ochre was in a similar position as far as contacting family and old friends went, he chose to take his 48 hours away from the base and went to sun himself in Acapulco. Captain Magenta went to Dublin to research his family history, while Grey went back to Chicago to see his family.

Indigo packed in readiness for his transfer to the research unit and left Cloudbase for his posting at the weekend. Captain Brown went home to Cornwall, vowing to quit smoking – again – while on holiday.

Captain Blue and Captain Scarlet were the last two officers to receive their 48-hour leave. Scarlet was planning to go home and see his parents but his plans were scuppered when his mother told him that his least favourite aunt was arriving the same day and she and her husband were expecting to be taken around the area on a tour of parish churches so that they could photograph ancient tombstones for a book they were writing.

General Metcalfe had already explained that he had important business in London and wouldn’t be at home to see his sister-in-law. His younger brother, Ronnie, was working in London, and his sister, Pamela, had chosen to spend some time there with her fiancé before visiting potential wedding venues. Mrs Metcalfe extended an invitation to her eldest son to join her and her sister on their explorations, but he declined politely and promised to come on a visit when all of the family was at home. His mother was less than impressed by this decision, but knew nothing would change his mind.

“Damnation!” Scarlet threw himself into a seat and glowered at the video-phone screen.

“Problems?” Blue asked calmly.

“I can’t go home unless I want to tour graveyards looking for ancient tombstones with my aunt and her dull-as-ditchwater husband. My aunt Jennifer would turn the original Gorgon to stone. I was looking forward to some home cooking and a little pampering too. What’s worse, I’m skint, so I guess I’m going to have to sit on the Promenade Deck and pretend I’m somewhere exotic.”

Blue struggled to suppress his amusement. From what he’d heard about the Metcalfe family, he suspected that, as the first-born son, Paul Metcalfe was the pampered darling of his family and that whatever her blue-eyed boy wanted was usually gladly provided by his doting mother. He could understand perfectly how this sudden unexpected obstacle to his plans would irritate Scarlet.

He could also appreciate that Scarlet really was at a loose end and that like everyone else, he would benefit from a spell away from Cloudbase.

“If you’re really outa money, I’m going home to Boston; you’re welcome to come if you wanna get away from Cloudbase. You wouldn’t have to be troubled with unwanted Svensons – my father’s got a get-together planned, so we’ll be occupied. You can even borrow my car, if you want to get out of the city.”

“Hardly time to do much touring,” Scarlet replied, genuinely surprised by the invitation. “But thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. Come to think of it, I’ve passed through Boston often enough on my way to Atlantic airport, but I’ve never explored it. If you’re sure it won’t be an inconvenience…?”

“No, I’m sure it won’t be. My mother’s used to her offspring bringing home various waifs and strays.”

“Thanks; you’re a God-send… Adam.”

“Wait until we’re back here before you commit yourself on that,” Blue remarked, only half-joking.

***

Atlantic Airport outside Boston was a busy commercial aviation hub and the Spectrum shuttle was routine enough to pass unnoticed. The passengers disembarked and the two civilians who went into the main passenger terminal were soon forgotten by the airport workers busy refuelling and unloading the Spectrum plane.

Whe-ah are you planning to go while you’re he-ah?” Blue asked, as they queued for a taxi.

Thrown by his companion’s lapse into what was, presumably his native accent, Scarlet frowned and after a moment’s thought said: “No idea. I might catch a ball game or something.”

“The Yankees are playing the Sox at Fenway Pahk. You’ll be lucky to get a ticket.”

“Well, there are museums and concert halls, I’m sure I can find plenty to entertain myself.”

“Oh yeah, you can lose yourself in the culture around he-ah. D’yuhwannaeat?”

Scarlet looked blankly at him and, grinning Blue repeated slowly: Do you wanna eat? Are you hungry?”

“Oh! Ravenous.”

“Good, my mother expects everyone to have a healthy appetite.”

“I don’t want to be any bother.”

Blue glanced at him. “Forget it; she expects me to create bother and I don’t like to disappoint her. So don’t worry about it. You’re gonna have to get your ear tuned into the accent though, or you’ll never follow the conversation.”

“It was just surprise,” Scarlet said, defensively, adding, “You don’t talk like that on Cloudbase.”

“No; but then, I think it’s important to be easily understood, so I keep it in the closet for high days and holidays. Besides, if I did I’d never live it down; can you imagine what Ochre would do with my accent?”

“Pretty much what he does with mine, I’d imagine,” Scarlet replied, with a wry grimace.

They got into the taxi and Blue gave an address in Charlestown.

After a while Scarlet said: “You never talk much about your family. Is there just your mum at home?”

“No. There’s my mother and my step-father and his two kids, but with luck, they won’t be there.”

Scarlet knew Blue was notoriously reluctant to reveal personal details and he wasn’t about to be told to mind his own business so he kept silent. To his surprise, Blue continued:

“I prefer to spend my leave on the coast somewhere – surfing, but there’s a naming ceremony for my half-sister this weekend. That’s why I’ve come home.”

“Nice.” Scarlet struggled to keep his surprise from his voice.

“If you like that sort of thing, yes it is.” Blue shrugged and sighed. “To be honest, Paul, I don’t always see eye-to-eye with my family – well, with certain members of my family. “

“I know what you mean: think of my aunt with the penchant for gravestones.”

Blue decided that his colleague needed to understand a little more about the situation he was about to encounter. “Things were always a little… difficult and got a lot worse when, about six years ago, my father remarried. My ‘step-mother’, Margot, is my age. To say that that didn’t go down well with my mother would be something of an understatement. She seemed to think Dad had no right to remarry, even though she’d done so. I dunno why but my mother’s always been out for Margot’s blood.”

“When did your parents split up?”

“Oh, that was years ago; I was still a teenager. It didn’t make much difference really, at least to start with. As Dad was always away from home so much we probably saw as much of him as we’d ever done before the divorce. He had an apartment in Boston but spent a lot of time at the family home so he could see us. Then, about five years after they divorced, with Lucas the only one still at home, I guess Mom got lonely and she married a real estate agent, name of Frederick Phelps. He was a widower with two kids, about the same age as my brother. Mom said we’d be ‘great friends’. We aren’t.”

“How many brothers and sisters have you got?”

 “There’re four of us: Martha, the eldest, then Corinna, with me and my kid brother, Lucas, bringing up the rear.”

“And the step-kids, of course?”

“Yeah; Lynda and Fred Junior. Since Dad remarried I have two little half-sisters: Lauren and Carly. This event is because Carly’s about to be christened. And there you have us: The Split-family Svenson.”

Scarlet chuckled. “Okay; so I call your mother Mrs Phelps, right?”

“Yeah, that’ll do it.”

The taxi drew up outside a large, detached house on one of the streets off Bunker Hill and Blue paid the fare as Scarlet unloaded the bags. He followed the American up to the front door and stepped inside after him. The interior opened out on either side of the approach to a central stairway, with long, rectangular rooms on either side, lit at each end by tall windows.

“It’s me!” Blue shouted. His voice echoed in the entrance hall and a blond head appeared around the interior wall, and a young man came forward. He was tall and muscular and the resemblance to Blue was considerable.

“Hi,” he called, advancing towards them, grinning. “You’re expected; in fact we were wondering when you were going to get here.”

“Busy, busy, busy,” Blue replied. He clapped the younger man’s shoulder. “Good to see you, Luc.”

“You too, Bro.”

“This is a workmate of mine; he’s here for some shore leave. Paul Metcalfe, meet my kid brother, Lucas Svenson.”

“Pleased to meet you, Paul.”

“As I am to meet you, Lucas.”

They shook hands.

Lucas warned his brother. “You’d better come and see Mom; she’s been worrying where you’d got to.”

“I told her I might be late and in fact, we made pretty good time.”

“There’s late and there’s what Mom considers is late…” Lucas said over his shoulder, as he went back into the room.

Blue rolled his eyes and gestured for Scarlet to precede him into what turned out to be a long and elegantly furnished drawing room, which led through to a glass-roofed conservatory, full of large and very luxurious plants.

Sitting rigidly upright in a straight-backed armchair set in the middle of the room, like royalty granting an audience, was a woman. She was dressed in a dark-grey shirt-dress with a pale lavender cardigan over her shoulders and her immaculately coiffed fair-hair was shot through with silver-blonde strands.

“Hi, Mom,” Blue said, as he advanced past his friend and bent down to kiss the slightly upturned, proffered cheek. “This is Paul Metcalfe, a colleague of mine. I said he could crash here – he has some leave due.”

“Of course. You’re very welcome, Mr Metcalfe.” Her voice sounded as thin as she was and icily polite.

Determined to make a good impression, Scarlet said, “Thank you, Mrs Phelps. I’m sorry to arrive with such short notice.” He shook the proffered hand; it was slender, the nails cut short and well-manicured and the skin as soft as if it wasn’t used to doing much in the way of work. “I appreciate you letting me stay.”

“My son’s friends are always welcome, Mr Metcalfe.” She glanced at Blue. “Especially if it means he’s here himself.”

“I come when I can.” It was obvious from Blue’s tone of voice that this was an oft-repeated complaint.

“And you can when your father asks, but not when I do?”

“I made Thanksgiving, what more do you want? We’re short-handed; it didn’t work out at Christmas, okay? I’d have come if I could. Now, can we forget that?”

“Did you go home for Christmas, Mr Metcalfe?”

“No, Mrs Phelps. I’m afraid nobody did, we were all very busy.”

The look she gave him indicated disbelief, but she inclined her head and appeared to accept his word.

“Come on, Paul; I’ll show you to your room.”

“Thanks, Adam.”

“Use the blue room,” Mrs Phelps said. “Everyone’s coming for the weekend. Why some of you can’t stay at your father’s I don’t know.”

“Because you don’t like it if we do,” Blue retorted and, without waiting for her reply, he shepherded Scarlet out of the room, muttering under his breath, “Give me strength…”

***

Telling himself he was being thoughtfully considerate by allowing Blue time to be with his family, Scarlet stayed in his bedroom, which was narrow and at the back of the house, so that the view from the sash-window included the top of the Bunker Hill monument. After about an hour, he showered and shaved, changing into the only smart casuals he’d brought with him. He grimaced at himself in the mirror: he’d got the distinct impression that Mrs Phelps was prone to standing on ceremony and would consider any breach of etiquette unforgiveable. He could only hope he passed muster as ‘dressed for dinner’...

As he went downstairs, Scarlet heard the front door opening and saw two people come into the hallway. One was a handsome, heavily-built, dark-haired man, with beetling eyebrows and a pronounced five-o’clock-shadow on his fleshy cheeks and jaw. The other was a tall, blonde young woman with long, straight hair swept back in an elaborate pony-tail. She was thin and her face was angular with sharp cheekbones and deep-set, clear, grey-blue eyes.

“Hello?” the man’s deep voice boomed on seeing Scarlet.

“Hello; I’m Paul Metcalfe, one of Adam’s friends. Mrs Phelps has kindly invited me to stay.”

“Ah, he’s back, is he?” the woman said, petulantly. “You can never be sure when he’ll turn up – or who with.”

Her judgemental gaze travelled over him from top to toe. He smiled, but she did not respond.

Paul found his hand enveloped in Phelps’s huge one and wrung heartily. “Welcome, Mr Metcalfe. I’m Frederick Phelps.”

“Pleased to meet you, Mr Phelps.”

“This is my step-daughter, Corinna.”

“Hi, Paul.”

“Hello, Corinna.”

Her glance was almost on the same level as his and her smile, now that it came, was amongst the most attractive he’d ever seen.

“Where’s my errant little brother?” she asked, glancing beyond him into the house.

“Adam?”

She nodded. “The very one.”

“He’s still in his room, I think.”

She turned to follow her step-father towards the drawing room and Scarlet fell in alongside.

“Have you known Adam long?” she asked.

“We started working for the World Government at the same time.”

“He doesn’t say much about what he does,” she commented, glancing at him from below her long, dark eyelashes. “Oh, I know that he works for the World Government, he just doesn’t say what he’s doing. But then,” she paused and glanced towards the staircase where Blue was descending the stairs two at a time, “he never does reveal much,” she concluded, and turned to greet her brother.

He kissed her cheek in passing and moved to where Scarlet was watching and waiting.

“You’ve met Corinna, I take it?” Blue said.

“She arrived with Mr Phelps as I was coming down the stairs,” Scarlet replied.

“I’d better go and report to the Supreme Commander,” she said grimly, tilting her head towards the drawing room. “I have to be a good girl as I’m out of favour at the moment.”

“So am I. I wonder what we’ve done this time,” Blue replied.

She shrugged. “Since when do we actually have to’ve done something?” Blue grimaced agreement as she went in to speak to her mother.

Scarlet watched her leave and mused: “She looks sort of familiar – and I don’t mean the family resemblance. I mean, I’m sure I’ve seen her before.”

“More than likely,” Blue replied, a wry smile on his lips. “If you read magazines or watch TV you can hardly avoid her these days.”

Puzzled, Scarlet followed him into the drawing room. “Maybe ‘Split-family Svenson’ wasn’t the joke I thought it was?” he considered, putting himself on his guard to avoid causing friction amongst his hosts.

After a fairly substantial lunch eaten under the disapproving eye of Mrs Phelps, Blue announced that he was going to take Scarlet on a walk around the city’s tourist sites, so his friend could orientate himself. Corinna, who had been avoiding her mother’s sharp glances for most of the mealtime, volunteered to go with them. Although Mrs Phelps looked annoyed, her good manners prevented her from attempting to forbid her daughter from going out, and the three of them walked out into the city about half an hour later.

The afternoon went quickly, and Scarlet enjoyed himself immensely. The Svensons were proud of their home city and knew it and its history well. They walked miles and eventually stopped for a break in Faneuil Hall. Blue bought coffees and blueberry muffins and they sat watching the world and his wife go by at a small table. Despite the previous meal, the walk had sharpened Scarlet’s appetite and he devoured the muffin gratefully; Blue ate his while Corinna picked crumbs off hers.

Her brother watched her circumspectly, then, as he finished his own muffin, he said: “Eat it, Cori; don’t play with it.”

“I didn’t ask for it. You eat it if it bugs you so much.” She pushed it towards him.

“I’ve eaten mine.”

“Then come on,” she said, shaking her head. “Let’s finish showing Paul round before we have to go back for supper.” She stood and picked up her bag, smiling at Paul as he drained his coffee cup. She offered her hand and he took it, smiling back at her, unaware of Adam’s annoyance as he followed them out of the hall.

As they started to walk back towards their home, Corinna said: “I have an invitation to go to an exhibition launch at an art gallery tonight; would you like to come with me, Paul? It might be fun.”

“Haven’t you got someone else expecting to go with you?”

She shook her head. “I haven’t been at home much recently, so I was going to ask Lucas, although I know he wouldn’t really enjoy it. As you and Adam haven’t got anything planned, would you?”

“Maybe Adam…?” Paul said, glancing at his friend.

“I’d really rather not go to a social event with one of my brothers, but if you don’t want to-”

“No - I’d love to,” he interjected. “Thanks very much. I… don’t have anything smarter than this, though.” He gestured towards his clothes.

“That’s okay. I’m sure between us we can dress you up.” She smiled in pleasure and held on to his hand. “Besides, it’s not that sort of a launch – it’ll be pretty bohemian…”

“You should eat before you go,” Adam remarked.

“There’ll be a buffet,” she replied.

“I know these sort of events – you’ll be lucky to get a substandard canapé and a small glass of champagne. Eat first.”

“Yeah, it must be minutes since we had that muffin and I’m ready for a sarnie or a cream tea,” Scarlet joked.

“I wasn’t talking to you,” Adam said and frowned towards his sister.

“Butt out, Addie; you’ve no right to give me orders. I’m not one of your pretty fly-boys.”

He glared at her, but she was impervious to his anger. “Just some good advice,” he replied with strained calmness.

 “I don’t need your advice!” Corinna increased speed and stalked ahead of them and up the steps into the house, leaving the front door ajar.

“Would it bother you if I go with her?” Paul asked, confused by this familial disagreement.

“Not at all.” Blue hesitated and then continued, “Look, Paul, it’s like this: we’re all worried that she’s not eating properly. She’s getting too skinny again.”

“That’s a known problem?”

“Yeah; it has been. Cori’s a model and there’s always pressure for her to be as thin as she can. She’s been working pretty hard so I doubt she’s eaten regularly for months.”

“Ah, I guess that’s why I thought she was familiar.”

Adam nodded. “Keep an eye on her for me, Paul? And see if you can’t get her to eat something. Even buffet fodder is better than nothing.”

***

The Launch Event was crowded with what Paul considered ‘artistic types’. There were plenty of photographers busily recording the presence of the celebrities. He watched in amused surprise as men and women strutted in front of advertising hoardings for the photographers, and stood aside when Corinna took her turn to be photographed. She was dressed in a beautiful silk dress, which exposed plenty of flesh, and her long hair was arranged in artful curls around her shoulders. After a few minutes she thanked the photographers and joined him to go into the gallery.

There were plenty of people, some of whom he recognised, who wanted to see and be seen with the glamorous ‘RinaSvenson and he was amused by the artificiality of the encounters. After what seemed like hours, the stream of people dried up and they were able to go and collect drinks and food from the buffet. Mindful of Adam’s request, Paul piled his plate with a selection of foods that was enough for them both and insisted Cori try some of them as well. Politely she nibbled at one or two of the vegetarian options and even allowed him to ply her with snacks.

After the plate was empty, they strolled around the gallery to see the exhibits, although, as Paul explained, most of them were not much to his taste. Corinna was taken with an abstract in pale oranges, reds and yellows, which she explained would look perfect in her apartment. She entered discussions with the gallery manager and completed her purchase quickly. After that she quickly lost interest and they left, walking down the street to a quiet bar, where they spent time having a couple of drinks and talking.

It wasn’t too late when they walked back, but the house was in darkness and it seemed as if everyone had already gone to bed. Corinna made coffee and they sat in the conservatory drinking it. As they were finishing the front door opened and Adam came in; he paused long enough to say ‘goodnight’ and went straight upstairs.

“I guess it is getting kinda late,” Cori said, and stood.

“Yes; thanks for asking me along. I’ve enjoyed myself tremendously, Cori.”

“So have I. I don’t suppose you’d like to come with me tomorrow – as my escort – to the naming ceremony? It’s just that… well, my family can be a bit over-protective but if you’re there, they’ll butt out.”

“Won’t everyone mind?”

She shook her head. “You’re Adam’s friend and - I hope – mine as well now. My dad’s way more laid back than Mom; he’ll just be pleased to see me with a friend. He says I work too hard.”ffffffffffff

“Must be a family trait,” Paul said and moved towards her. “I’d be happy to come, if you want me to.”

“You’re a knight in shining armour, Paul. Thanks so much.” She leant in to kiss his cheek and he turned his lips to meet hers. She responded and laid her head on his shoulder for a brief moment as his arms tightened around her.

“I wouldn’t say I feel very chivalrous right now,” he confessed.

She chuckled and gently moved away from him. “Oh, I think you still qualify for your spurs, Galahad. Sleep well.”

Scarlet wasn’t sure he would; holding her in his arms had roused long dormant desires, but he realised that she wasn’t happy with the idea of spending the night with him, so he smiled and kissed her hand with as much gallantry as he could.

***

The following morning he felt pleased that he hadn’t pushed his luck with Corinna, as he could look Adam in the eye and give an honest answer to the inevitable question: did you sleep well?

“Yes, thanks. I thought I wouldn’t but I guess all the walking made me more tired than I thought. I went out like a light and slept like a log.”

“That’s the good Boston air – it’ll knock you out every time,” Adam said, with his usual gently ironic smile.

Paul grinned. “Something it has in common with London….”

He helped himself to coffee and some cereal and continued as evenly as he could: “Corinna suggested I could go along to the christening today with her. I sort of said I would, but I wanted to check it out with you first.”

Blue studied him under frowning brows. “What’s it to do with me? Cori’s invited you and you’ve agreed to go.”

“I don’t want to interfere; I mean, you didn’t invite me here to be a guest of the family.”

Adam shrugged. “As far as I’m concerned you’re welcome to come. I only hope it won’t be too boring for you, although it won’t be just family there and I’m guessing there’ll be quite a lively crowd. My dad won’t mind that Cori invited you at the last minute – allowances get made for her that the rest of us don’t qualify for.”

“You’re very fond of her, aren’t you?”

Adam avoided his gaze and nodded. “We all are. Only she calls it ‘being over-protective’ and resents it.”

“I like her a lot,” Paul admitted.

The American smiled. “Good; she likes you, or she wouldn’t be so… friendly.”

“Nothing’s happened,” Paul asserted immediately.

“Nothing to do with me if it had.”

Despite Adam’s assurance, Paul didn’t quite believe him. It was obvious that the family all felt very protective towards Corinna and he sensed that anyone responsible for causing her unhappiness would not be forgiven easily.

“She said that you’d be able to kit me out in suitable gear for the party?”

Adam looked him up and down. “We’re much of a size, I’m sure we can find something to fit well enough. It won’t be that grand a do… Dad isn’t into etiquette and formality the way Mom is.”

“Where is your mother?”

“She left an hour ago; apparently she has a hair appointment and then a meeting of some charity committee she’s involved in. In reality, she just doesn’t want to be involved in the day’s event.” Adam stood. “If you’ve had enough breakfast, we’ll go and sort out something for you to wear. I’ll take Cori some coffee… or she’ll be late.”

***

Paul dressed in his borrowed finery with some trepidation. The trousers – which Adam had taken from his brother’s wardrobe - were a little too long in the leg and the waist had to be cinched in with a belt. The jacket –which was one of Adam’s - was a reasonable fit, but slightly on the big side.

“At least I bought some suitable shoes and not just trainers…” He grimaced at his reflection and sighed. “Maybe I should’ve stuck to sight-seeing after all?”

Adam drove to the venue. The Svenson house was out in the suburbs and was a thoroughly modern family home with the ubiquitous integral solar panels and a small wind turbine on the roof. It was set in large, well-tended gardens and as they swept up the short drive, Scarlet saw a separate building with a swimming pool set well back from the road and a large marquee set up on the lawn in front of it. This house was the direct opposite of the home they had just left: open-plan, with glass walls that opened out onto the gardens, it gave an impression of space and light. One wall consisted of an abstract pattern in stained glass, which spun rainbows of sunlight across the plain walls. Scarlet stared in delighted wonder at the overall effect.

Coming towards them was a tall, distinguished man whose features left no doubt that he was Lennart Svenson. Corinna hurried to meet him and was wrapped in a bear-hug.

Adam extended his hand, with a boyish grin on his face. “Far,” he said affectionately, as Lennart threw his arms around his son’s shoulders and included him in the hug.

Lennart replied, in what Scarlet supposed was Swedish, and the pair had a brief conversation, which ended with Lennart Svenson shaking his head in affectionate rebuke.

Adam laughed. “Okay, so what if my accent is atrocious? I don’t get enough practice and today, I’m afraid our guest doesn’t speak Swedish. So you’ll have to make do with plain old American, Far.” He turned to introduce his friend. “This is Paul Metcalfe, an Englishman I work with. He’s here on leave for a few days, so we invited him to come along. I hope you don’t mind?”

“Of course not. Welcome, Mr Metcalfe.” Lennart Svenson extended his hand and shook Paul’s with a firm grip. His accent was almost perfect with little indication that English was not his first language.

“Pleased to meet you, Mr Svenson.” Scarlet responded to the welcoming smile with a friendly grin. “I hope my being here won’t upset your arrangements.”

“Today it is open house: all are welcome. Come and meet with my wife. And be sure, that if you call for Mr Svenson today, you will get many replies, so call me Lennart – or Len – everyone does.”

Scarlet was swept across the room, passed groups of fashionably-dressed people, some of whose faces looked familiar, towards the open glass walls where an elegantly-dressed woman, with short, dark-brown hair, was talking to a smartly-dressed young man. She turned towards them as they approached, and to Paul’s surprise, her large, dark eyes lit up as she looked at Lennart.

“Margot, my dear; this is Paul Metcalfe, one of Adam’s friends. He will be with us today.”

“Hello, Paul.” She extended a small hand which he shook. “Welcome to our home.” Almost immediately she turned her attention beyond him to where her step-family were waiting to greet her.

“Hi, Cori, and long-time no see. Addie, so glad you could both make it.”

“Hello, Margot.” Adam said, rather vaguely. He was looking over her head across the room, and his expression was one of alarm and surprise. As his step-mother advanced and reached up to kiss his cheek, he snapped out of his inattention and kissed her back, with a warm smile.

“We never see you these days. Your father misses you and so does Lauren - and me, of course.”

“I’m being kept busy these days.”

 “Everything ready or is there something I can do to help?” Cori said briskly, dragging Margot’s attention from her brother.

“Everything is fine, thanks, Cori. Come and see the girls…”

Paul joined Adam as he watched the women walk from the room together.

“I see what you mean about why your mother would be out for her blood,” he remarked quietly. “She’s an attractive woman.”

Adam, who had returned to his visual examination of the other guests, turned to him suddenly as if startled to find him that close.

“Yes.”

“How did she meet your father?”

“Through Martha’s husband. Here, let me introduce you. Phil Dufresne works for a record company in Boston and Margot was on the staff there.”

Phillip Dufresne was the man Paul had seen Margot Svenson talking to. He was a Canadian who had come south to study at Boston’s renowned universities and had met his wife while studying for an MBA. Deciding to pursue a career in the music industry, he had settled in Boston and married Martha Svenson.

While Adam was busy talking to his eldest sister and her young daughter and son, Paul questioned Dufresne.

“Adam was telling me that Mrs Svenson,” he indicated that he meant Margot, rather than the first Mrs Svenson, “used to work in the same company as you. Small world, eh?”

“Yeah; but then these things do happen.”

“She’s certainly… different from Mrs Phelps.”

“Elizabeth? Oh, she’s not as fierce as she appears, once you get to know her. She really doesn’t like Adam and Corinna being so far away and blames Len for that.”

“Really? I’ve always just imagined that Adam was born under a wandering star, as the saying goes.”

Dufresne smiled. “Yes, I think he was, but Elizabeth wanted him to join Len’s company and settle in Boston, only Adam had other ideas. He insisted he wanted to leave home and wouldn’t reconsider. In the end, and although, according to my wife, he’d always shared their mother’s hopes, Len accepted the inevitable. He’s the most pragmatic of men and he’d rather his kids were happy than doing what he wanted them to do. However, I’ll leave it to you to imagine how much it pleased Elizabeth when Addie went to fly for the World Aeronautical Society.”

Paul smirked at that. “Adam’s mentioned that he’s permanently in the doghouse with his mother, now I understand why. Yet his father reconciled to it?”

Dufresne nodded. “Yeah, although I think Margot had a good deal to do with the rapprochement between father and son. There was a certain amount of internecine warfare around her relationship with Len and Elizabeth expected the kids to side with her – they didn’t. Something else that didn’t please Elizabeth.”

Paul nodded and admitted, “I’ve been warned that his mother wasn’t happy about Lennart’s remarriage.”

Dufresne glanced at him, but seeing nothing except a genial interest, replied, “They were all a little dubious, I guess, but it’s not hard to see that Len adores Margot – or why – and that she adores him, so we let sleeping dogs lie, Mr Metcalfe.”

Paul smiled. “I understand, Mr Dufresne, and please don’t think I’m prying. I just don’t want to say or do anything that might be misconstrued or exacerbate things I don’t understand. I haven’t met Adam’s family before and domestic politics can be such a minefield, as I know from my own family.”

Dufresne gave a wry smile. “You’ll be okay as long as you remember one simple rule: however much they may fight amongst themselves, the Svensons hunt in a pack when an outsider crosses any one of them.”

“Somehow, I’d got that impression already.”

The Naming Ceremony was short but the party that started afterwards was scheduled to go on into the evening. Paul mingled with the other guests, amongst whom he recognised celebrities from the business and entertainment worlds. He even rubbed shoulders with some of them.

He was completely star-struck when he saw, surrounded by a throng of attentive admirers, the flamboyant global rock star, Floyd ‘FloLyn’ Franklyn. FloLyn had been the ‘wild child’ of the rock world for over a decade and was now well-established as ‘Rock-Music-Royalty’, with even his most outrageous behaviour being condoned as ‘avant-garde’ and ‘free-spirited’. It appeared to Scarlet that FloLyn was being treated as a friend of the family rather than as a valued client of Dufresne’s record company, which he assumed he was, and no one was going to risk hurting the record company’s interests by offending him.

Corinna was momentarily on her own when FloLyn pushed his way over to her and greeted her with an excessively long embrace, which she accepted with good grace. Linking his arm with hers he led her away, already deep in animated conversation.

The sight fired a visual memory in Scarlet’s mind of a music video for one of FloLyn’s biggest global hits that was played almost incessantly in the Amber Room, and he realised that the young woman featured in that video had been Corinna. The idea that the pair were so obviously well acquainted disappointed him more than he’d expected.

He looked around the room for someone he knew. He’d last seen Adam some time ago talking intently to an attractive, petite young woman, whose lack of inches had been compensated for by a bouffant concoction of dark hair, and they were still together, so he wasn’t going to interrupt that tête-à-tête.

Finding himself at a loose end, he determined to enjoy himself. There were enough people at the gathering to keep him occupied and plenty of young – and pretty - women willing to dance. In the course of eating and drinking too much, Paul met and talked to a great many people he would probably never see again. He bumped into Cori every so often as, free from FloLyn’s attentions, she threw herself into the party with gusto, dancing with a succession of partners, including him, almost as if she wanted to demonstrate that she was having a wonderful time.

Adam did not reappear but, as there was no sign of his companion either, Paul assumed he was making the most of the party; after all, that was what ‘R&R’ was all about.

After some hours, taking a breather from an energetic session on the dance floor, Paul wandered around the house admiring the art works on the walls and the exquisite décor of the open-plan rooms. Finishing his beer, he turned and realised he wasn’t sure of his way back to the main room. Shrugging, he went down a small flight of stairs which, he quickly realised, led into the dead-end of a mezzanine floor, kitted out as a study or office. He heard voices and, unwilling to intrude, was about to turn and leave when, recognising Adam’s voice, he moved to peer into the dimly-lit room, intending to ask for directions.

Adam was leaning against the far wall, his head thrown back, lips parted and his eyes closed as another figure, dark-haired and slender, pressed against him, their face buried in the nape of his neck. Scarlet grinned and was about to creep away when it struck him that the unknown figure was not the young woman he’d first assumed. As he stared, wide-eyed with surprise, the man raised his head and there was no doubt who it was – Floyd Franklyn.

He wasn’t aware that he’d made a sound, but instantly Adam pushed the man away and stared straight to where Paul stood, halfway down the stairs.

“Sorry; sorry. I took the wrong turning. I was looking for a bathroom…” he gabbled in the punishing glare of his colleague’s basilisk-like gaze.

“Just along the corridor,” Adam said coldly. “A few steps down.”

“Yeah… sorry… really.”

Franklyn was chuckling softly. “Friend of yours, Addie? Aren’t you going to introduce us or are you keeping him all to yourself?”

Adam’s gaze darted to the other man and with a look of resignation he said: “Floyd, meet Paul Metcalfe. Paul, this is Floyd Franklyn.”

Franklyn grinned, running an appraising glance over the young man before extending a hand towards Paul. “Oh, Rina’s friend; the one you were telling me about?”

“We work together,” Adam said flatly.

“Lucky guys… that must be fun.”

“Oh yeah, it’s a laugh a minute,” Paul replied, coming close enough to shake the man’s hand. Despite the awkwardness of the situation he was excited to be talking to one of the most popular rock stars on the planet.

“You must tell me about it sometime…” Franklyn said, but he turned back to Adam, dismissing Paul as unimportant. “I should get back to the party, sugar; it wouldn’t do to upset anyone would it?”

Adam shook his head curtly. Franklyn extended his hand, cupped Adam’s chin and drew him into a lingering kiss. “It’s been too long, Addie,” he said, adding with some vehemence, “and you gotta understand that for me, it ain’t over.” His fingers caressed Adam’s cheek as he turned to leave.

“So you say,” Adam said, turning his face away from the touch with an exasperated sigh.

For a moment, as he walked away from the younger man, Paul saw what he could only call ‘pain’ in FloLyn’s dark eyes. Then he shrugged and giving the Englishman a curt nod, walked passed him.

Ciao, Paul; nice to meet you.”

With the unhurried and exquisitely sultry grace he was famed for, Franklyn left the room. Once they were alone, Paul turned to Adam, anxious to deflect any anger. “Really; I am so sorry…”

“Forget it. Flo won’t remember either of us by the time he’s back in the public eye.”

“You and he… ehgood friends?”

“We were – once. Like he said, it’s been a long time; although maybe not long enough. Let’s go and get a drink.”

“Sure. By the way, what happened to that young woman I saw you with earlier?”

“Woman?”

“Yeah; a dark-haired woman. You and she were looking pretty intense…”

“Oh – her. Eh… she left.”

“Your legendary bedroom-eyes let you down that time, uh?”

Adam snorted. “What? Oh, Natalie’s been immune to those for some time. I guess you can’t win them all.”

“Tell me about it; I lost Cori to your mate FloLyn. I guess we both need to work on our technique.”

“Don’t panic; any competition between you and Flo is strictly a no-brainer. She hates him.”

“You don’t say?” Privately Paul considered that if FloLyn had deserted Cori to find Adam, there might be truth in that. “Well, that’s comforting. Now weren’t you going to lead me to a beer?”

Halfway up the stairs Adam stopped and glanced down at Paul on a lower step. “One thing, Paul – a favour?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t mention that Floyd was with me to Cori; it’s a long story, but it won’t do anyone any favours if you do.”

“My lips are sealed. Spectrum Officer’s honour.”

“Thanks.”

Adam strode away at some speed and Paul ambled after him.

“After all, it’s always nice to catch up with old friends, sugar,” he muttered to himself, an amused grin on his lips.

Back in the main room, Paul was pounced on by Cori and whirled back onto the dance floor. He could see Adam determinedly avoiding both FloLyn and his family and apparently ‘drowning his sorrows’ – such as they were - in copious amounts of red wine. He also noticed that Martha was keeping a surreptitious close eye on her brother, presumably with the intent of preventing any resulting unpleasantness. Acknowledging the accuracy of Dufresne’s earlier observation about the way the Svensons closed rank, he pulled Cori close in the dance and was glad he was on their side.

***

In the early hours of the morning, Lucas drove them back to the Phelps house while Adam dozed in the passenger seat and Cori cuddled up with Paul in the back.

Mrs Phelps was waiting for them and cast a look of disgust at her eldest son as he staggered upstairs to bed, with little more than a bleary wave at his mother, and his brother following close behind to prevent him falling.

“He’ll regret it tomorrow,” Mrs Phelps said to Corinna, once Adam was out of earshot.

“His business, not yours.”

“Why didn’t you stop him?”

“You try stopping him when he’s determined to do something. But, don’t worry, it was all perfectly amicable and nothing happened. Dad thought it was a huge joke, didn’t he, Paul?”

Paul nodded. “He did seem amused.”

Mrs Phelps gave a snort of disapproval. “I see nothing amusing in it. That woman ought to know better.”

’That woman’ has a name,” Corinna snapped, “and Margot knew nothing about it. She spent the entire time with the children or her friends. I doubt she spoke more than a dozen words to Addie all day. He got in with some old friends and you know what men are like when they try to relive the glorious wild-oat-sowing days of their youth…”

Lucas came downstairs to report that he’d rolled Adam into bed and he was already asleep. “I wouldn’t like to have his head come the morning,” he commented, with a grin. “But then, he’s never been able to drink Chip Carpenter under the table, so I don’t know why he decided to try…”

“Ryan Carpenter? What was he doing there?” his mother demanded.

“He’s married to Margot’s friend – Stacey Brown, as was.”

“He always was a wastrel,” Elizabeth Phelps said sourly. “I’ve never understood what Adam finds so agreeable about his company.” She looked at the three of them and added, “I’m going up to bed. Don’t make too much noise.”

“We’ll be like the proverbial church mice,” Lucas promised and, as soon as she left them, he grinned and threw himself into an armchair. “I thought she’d throw six fits.”

Cori glanced at Scarlet. “Not in front of a guest. You saved our asses – well, Adam’s - Paul.”

“Was it true what you told her?” he asked. “Adam was just getting pi… drunk with an old friend? I saw him with a woman earlier and he said she’d left… I assumed he was irked; from what I’ve seen, it isn’t often he fails to pull the… eh, object of his desire, shall we say?”

“You must mean Natalie,” Lucas said.

 Scarlet confirmed with a nod. “That’s the name he used.”

Cori glanced at her brother, remarking, “Why Margot invited her I don’t know.”

“She and Adam have a history?” Scarlet glanced from brother to sister, surprised at their wry expressions.

“Well, they certainly don’t have a future,” Lucas replied cryptically.

Scarlet shrugged. “I’ve never seen him deliberately drink too much before; I just wondered what was eating him.”

“Addie likes to be full control at all times and Natalie’s the one thing he can’t control any longer; s’possible he took to drink from sheer peevishness.” Lucas smothered a yawn. He glanced at his watch. “I’d better go, Cori; I’ve got training tomorrow morning. Pleased to see you, Paul; I hope to see you again soon.”

He extended his hand and Paul stood to shake it.

“Thank you; I’ll look forward to it, Lucas.”

Once her brother had left, Cori moved to sit beside him on the sofa.

“I guess you and Adam will be going back tomorrow?”

“Yeah; we have to be back on base before 1800 hours.”

“I hope you’ll come and see us again, Paul. Please don’t feel you’ve gotta wait for Adam to invite you; it’ll probably never occur to him. Get in touch with me, if you want; I consider you as much my friend as his.”

“I’d like to see you again, Cori. Very much.”

She smiled. “And I’d like to see you. I work away from home a lot these days and I’ve got an apartment in New York. Come and compare The Hub to the Big Apple when you have the chance.”

“I’d like that.” He leant over and kissed her. “I’d like it very much…”

 

End of Part One


To be continued in Part 2



Author’s notes:

Ray Bradbury wrote: We are all . . . children of this universe. Not just Earth, or Mars, or this system, but the whole grand fireworks. And if we are interested in Mars at all, it is only because we wonder over our past and worry terribly about our possible future.

This was the starting point for my two-part story, ‘Children of this Universe’. I apologise for any liberties I have taken with accepted chronology; but, as I know it can vary from source to source, I felt I wasn’t breaking too many rules.

My thanks go to Hazel Kohler for beta reading my story and offering constructive criticism of the finest kind. Thanks also to Chris Bishop, whose website is one of the finest to be found on the internet, and who has allowed my story to join the library of excellent fiction already here.

Janile


OTHER STORIES BY JANILE GNOSOMA


“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site