New series Suitable for all readersAction-oriented/low level of violence 

 

A Soldier Never Dies

A New Captain Scarlet story

By Adam Blue


Captain Scarlet kept a close eye on Dr. Gold has the latter was tending to his very good friend while they were being flown back to Skybase where sickbay was waiting for him.

Captain Blue had a foil blanket over him, oxygen mask on and a drip that was fixed to the back of his hand. The heart machine showed he was stable enough and Scarlet hoped that would stay the same until they got to base.

Once the Hummingbird landed, Dr Gold rushed out and waved to his team who was already rushing towards to the craft with a trolley and medical equipment.  Scarlet helped a male nurse to lay Blue on the trolley; then Dr Gold connected him to a portable breathing machine and heart monitor next to him while the nurse hung an IV bag onto a the poll attached to it.

“We’re home, Adam. Doctor Gold will now take your to sickbay, and will take very good care of you. Just hang on,” Scarlet said to him whilst following the fast moving trolley.

“Don’t worry, Scarlet, he will be fine. He’s a Svenson!” replied Gold.

“I know, Doc, but he’s not indestructible.” Just then, Scarlet heard a yell from behind. It was Serena, running too him.

“PAUL!” she yelled again. “How bad is it? Will he be ok?”

 Scarlet stopped, turned round and gently took her by the arms.

“He will be ok, Serena. You know, Adam, he’s as tough as they get,” he said, trying to calm her down. But he could see it all over her face she didn’t really believe him. Blue had been shot, he wasn’t moving so how could he be ok?

 

 

Colonel White decided to stay at his desk whilst Blue was being treated. He was busy with paperwork, but he’d had known Blue’s father, General Svenson, for many years and respected Blue greatly. To think he may lose him under his command... God forbid.

 

 

Green and Scarlet, now joined by Destiny, were by the big window looking into the medical room, watching Dr Gold and his team as they tended to Adam’s injuries and pump blood into him, whilst checking his vitals.

“Why are they still pumping blood into him?” Green asked with worry. “Is he still bleeding? What’s going on?”

Scarlet put his hand on her shoulder. “It’s going to be fine, he lost a lot of blood out there. That’s why.”

 Green felt a chill go down her back.

“Don’t worry, Serena, his vitals are stable,” Destiny said, reassuringly. Green has always held a torch for Blue, so to lose him without him knowing how she felt would destroy her.

Scarlet had always wondered what would happen if he were to donate blood to another human being. Would that person heal faster? Would it make it worse? Or do nothing whatsoever?

He would give it a go, if there was a chance it would work.

 

Scarlet and Green were in Dr Gold’s room waiting. It seemed like hours had gone by but, in reality, only two hours had passed since their return from Ragnarok. Then the door to the medical room opened and Gold entered.  Green rose from her seat and went to him. Scarlet just stood where he was, his arms behind his back.

“Well?” the young woman asked anxiously.

Gold smiled to both of them. “He’s stable, and doesn’t need any more blood transfusions. We found an extra tear about ten centimetres behind the main hole. It was a bit difficult to see at the time. But we stitched him up well.”

“Will he be ok, Doc? Can we see him yet?”  Green asked. Scarlet nodded to her question.

“Yes, he will be fine, Lieutenant, Captain. He’s a fighter. But no, you can’t see him. Not yet. Maybe later.”

Green turned around and hugged Scarlet, who had now approached her.

“See, I told you he’d been fine,” Scarlet said whilst putting an arm round her.

 

Later that day, Scarlet, Green and Colonel White went to see Blue. He had been moved to the recovery room so Dr Gold could keep a close eye on him.

“How is he, Mason?” asked the colonel.

“As expected, Colonel, there is no change at this point. He will wake up when his body is ready.”

Green was just staring through the one-way glass, into the room where Blue was sleeping. “Why does he still have the oxygen tube in?” she asked.

Gold could see that she was very anxious, which was obviously the only reason why she would ask such a silly question.  He tried to sound patient when he answered, “It’s standard procedure, Lieutenant. Just a precaution, because he’s had major surgery.”

Just then, Green saw Adam’s fingers move on his right hand. Her big brown eyes opened wider and welled up.

“He’s waking up!”  

“That’s very good, Lieutenant,” Gold calmly replied.

Both White and Scarlet watched Blue, as he started fidgeting and looking around, trying to get his bearings.

“He’ll be trying to get out of bed in a minute,” said Scarlet. “You know Adam.”

“Oh, but we can’t have that,” Gold protested quickly. “He might hurt himself, pop his stitches, even fall down if he managed to get up –” He was already moving to the door to go into the room and stop Blue but Green beat him to it and opened it wide, to quickly enter.

“No, stay where you are, Adam,” she called to him. “Don’t move!”

Blue looked up in confusion, and saw her there.

 Doctor Gold came in to make sure he wouldn’t get up or rip the catheter out of his arm.

“Where am –” he said, whilst trying to lift his head. But he was in a lot of pain.

“You’ve been shot,” Gold explained. “But you’ll be ok, now. You’re in the recovery room. Just lay back and rest, Captain. You need plenty of rest. I’ll explain more later.”

“Serena?” Blue slurred.

“Yes, Serena is here. Scarlet and the colonel are outside.” He stood back up and turned round, to address Green: “You have a few minutes and that’s all. He must rest. The sedatives will make him sleep in a short while, anyway.”

He then walked back to the doorway, beyond which Colonel White and Captain Scarlet were standing getting ready to enter.  He warded them out, asking that they let his patient get his rest, and walked away.

 

Green sat on the side of the bed facing Blue and tried not to cry whilst smiling at him.

“Hey, Adam. How you feeling?”Stupid question’, she thought whilst rolling her eyes. She changed it. “How’s the pain?”

“Oh, you know. Like I’ve been shot or something,” he said weakly with a slight grin. “I’ll be up and running around in no time.”

“No you won’t, Adam. You’ll be here AND resting until you’re fit enough.” Green took his right hand and held it. “You had us all worried. We weren’t sure whether you were going to make it. I couldn’t lose you without me telling you something I’ve wanted to say for a long time. It would really hurt me.”

“What’s that?” Blue asked whilst trying to push himself up. He stopped immediately and grimaced.

Green still wanted to cry.  It hurt her so much to see him like this. Then a tear started running down her left cheek. Blue put his index finger on her cheek and wiped the tear away.

Scarlet and White, who were still in the doorway, looked at each other with a smile. Then decided to leave and did so quietly.

“I love you, Adam,” Green confided. “I always have and always will. Losing you would break my heart.”

Blue just looked into her big brown eyes, surprised. He never realised. He never had the balls to tell her how he really felt too.

“I feel the same about you,” he admitted in turn, in a slurred voice. “Just never felt right because of our jobs.”

Before she could answer, he gave in to the sedatives, and fell asleep, and this time he was holding her hand. She never noticed he had taken it.


THE END

______________________

This story was beta-read by the Spectrum Headquarters beta-reading panel. 

 

“FAN FICTION ARCHIVES” PAGE

 

OTHER STORIES FROM ADAM BLUE

Any comments? Send an E-MAIL to the SPECTRUM HEADQUARTERS site